cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ordering FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 require to purchase FS-VMW-SW-K9 license?

frankie_sky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just want to ask is it necessary to buy FS-VMW-SW-K9 (Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,Virtual(VMWare) FSIGHT Lic) then only can use the 

FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 (Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 2 devices)

thanks

rgds,

Frankie

30 Replies 30

islam.omran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Frankie ,

As long as it is only 2 devices  then you can get FS-VMW-2-SW-K9  but you have to consider if or not you are going to expand in the near future .

Hi Islam,

Meaning that i no need to purchase  FS-VMW-SW-K9 (Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,Virtual(VMWare) FSIGHT Lic) also can use the FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 right? if i have only 2 devices and not going to expand near future. 

rgds,
Frankie

yes you need only to purchase FS-VMW-2-SW-K9  and another item for support .I think it is CON-SAU-VMWSW2 .

Hi Islam, many thanks. 

Confirming Islam's answer.

The FS-VMW-SW-K9 line item is for up to 25 managed devices. The two entry level ones are the VMW-2 and VMW-10 variants for 2 and 10 managed devices respectively.

The only downside is there's no upgrade part. So if you buy the VMW-2 and expand later, you need to buy the full 10 or more. 

Thank you for the confirmation. I think what has many of us confused is the list pricing, and how it is far from linear:

FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 (2 Devices) - $500

FS-VMW-10-SW-K9 (10 Devices) - $1000

FS-VMW-SW-K9 (25 Devices) - $10795

What's even more interesting is that I can choose and validate (in CCW) quantity 2 of the 2-device licenses and quantity 2 of the 10-device licenses to get a total of 24 devices for $3k.

What the heck, Cisco?

The 2 and 10 device license tiers were established to lower the "cost of entry" to the functionality and give customers a full taste of what FireSIGHT Management Center (Defense Center) can do.

Further, the ASA 5506, 5508 and 5516 now have a "light" FireSIGHT management capability built into ASDM.

I expect we will see more developments going forward.

Thank you for the quick reply. My follow-up question would be, then, is it true that the (CCW-validated) multiple quantities of the 2-device or 10-device licenses can be used, or would that fail PAK activation where only one of either the 2-device, 10-device, or 25-device license would be allowed per FireSIGHT instance?

You cannot stack multiple quantities of the 2, 10 or 25 device license on a single FireSIGHT Manager instance.

This license is the host, users??

This license is for the server that manages the FirePOWER modules.

The number of hosts and users that can be monitored is limited to 50,000 on a virtual FireSIGHT Management Center.

See the product data sheet for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/firesight-management-center/datasheet-c78-732251.html

So if I need to go from managing 2 to managing 5, I need to purchase a brand new 10-device instance?   Please tell me that a new installation isn't required...when I purchase the 10 device, I don't see anywhere to install that new license in my currently deployed 2 device VM.

Just do an "add license" on the licensing page as if it were any other kind of module license. The server will recognize that it's an MC license and should update accordingly.

Marvin,

I am currently quoting a FirePower Management Center virtual appliance for a customer.  They are looking to buy a FirePower 7150 chassis.  I was told by an SE that the 2 device can only be used with the ASA's with FirePower Services.  Can the 2 device and 10 device versions of the virtual appliance manage the 7150 sensors?  Are there any limitations with regard to types of appliances that can be managed by the FirePower Management Center? 

/Pete

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card