cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ordering FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 require to purchase FS-VMW-SW-K9 license?

frankie_sky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just want to ask is it necessary to buy FS-VMW-SW-K9 (Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,Virtual(VMWare) FSIGHT Lic) then only can use the 

FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 (Cisco FireSIGHT Management Center,(VMWare) for 2 devices)

thanks

rgds,

Frankie

30 Replies 30

Pete,

Your SE is correct. The 2- and 10-device variants can only manage ASA FirePOWER Services modules.

Cisco has priced them significantly less than the "classic" offerings to encourage adoption of this product line.

The FS-VMW-SW-K9 license (not -2 or -10 but limited to managing 25 devices) can be used to manage either type of sensor - ASA-based module or the more traditional style dedicated appliances.

Ok.  Thank you so much for the clarification, and the quick response.  you are very dedicated, and helpful sir.

Regards,

/Pete

You're welcome - thanks for the ratings.

Hi;

I have some questions about this license, i purchase tow ASA 5512 FirePower and ASA 5525 FirePower can i use this license FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 to manage those tow devices using this one license ?

and my second question is about the expire date of this license , its have one?

this license depends on the PAK came with the ASA devices or not?

thank you!

[@h.infotronique1]  ,

If you purchase the "FS-VMW-2-SW-K9" product you can use it to manage any 2 ASA FirePOWER Service modules. It doesn't matter whether they are on ASA 5512, 5525 or any other 5500-X series model.

It is not a term license - it has no expiration date. It does have an associated Smartnet support contract (CON-SAU-VMWSW2) that is required for TAC support and upgrade entitlement. Smartnet contracts do have a term and are generally offered from 1-5 years.

FirePOWER Management Center (since Version 6.0) does not require its own license file to be activated.

To manage any devices (FirePOWER service modules), you need to apply, at a minimum, the no-cost Control (also known as Protect + Control) license that comes with every ASA with FirePOWER service module. You then add any of the optional licenses you have purchased - IPS, URL Filtering and/or Malware (AMP).

thank you very much

Do you need additional licenses to use firepower if you purchased FS-VMW-2-SW-K9?

For example do you need other licenses for the subscriptions ?

FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 is for the FMC only.

Any managed devices need their respective licenses for Control, IPS, URL Filtering and/or Malware (AMP). For FTD devices the Control and IPS license are replaced by "Threat" licenses.

In all cases, the FMC manages the licenses for the remote sensors. FTD uses Smart Licensing and other products use PAKs (classic licensing).

Hello Marvin, 

I would like to ask first

if I can  use one FMC to manage  ASA with firepower like 5516x and FTD like 2100 by one FMC each sensor is in deferent site , 

Second, I know for ASA with Firepower in HA mode the FMC will treat each device separately if I have 2 FTD sensor in HA mode how FMC will act then,

Third, is the only difference between FS-VMW-10-SW-K9 and FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 is in the support terms as the License PAK key was deprecated since 6.0 version .

Thanks, 

Best Regards,   

@ahmed.morsy

1. Sure, as long as your FMC is licensed for the number of sensors they can be geographically spread out.

2. The two appliances use up two licenses. The FMC knows they are an HA pair and treats them as such. when you deploy policy, technically it deploys to the active member and is then replicated from it to the standby unit.

3. Even though there's no license PAK, there is a Smart License associated with your FMC. Also, your right to use is for the number of device licenses you have purchased. While it is not enforced by technical means, it is a binding agreement between your company and Cisco to only manage the licensed number of devices.

Thanks Marvin for your reply

Hi Marvin,

Sorry if I barge in the discussion.

I have a client who wants to buy the FS-VMW-2-SW-K9 and also need it installed for two ASAs 5550x. My questions is..how this process goes? I order this license, it comes as a software image on something so I can install it on my virtual domain on the server?..I saw some videos on the itnernet where the guy just downloaded the FMC from Cisco support and download site.

Can you please walk me thorugh the process?

Thnak you very much

When you purchase the license you receive a right-to-use. Normally it is purchased with support. It is the support contract that gives your client the entitlement to access the downloads page for FMC.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286259687/type/286271056/release/6.2.3.13

The partner or reseller must add the client's cisco.com ID to the support contract entitlement so that the entitlement appears on the appropriate downloads page.

Thank you Marvin. Everything is clear now.

Have a great day!

Hi Marvin, 

I have some questions about this license. I have purchased FS-VMW-10-SW-K9 but cannot download from CISCO or get my image anywhere. Does that mean that my supplier sold me something I cannot use? I have had open support case with CISCO sins August, but still no help on getting the part I have purchased.

-Andrè

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: