Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PROTOCOL-DNS dns response for rfc1918 Violation

Hello all

We are in the middle of deploying an FTD with IPS for a project. We have seen a large number of the following violations in the IPS event log:

Priority

Classification

PROTOCOL-DNS dns response for rfc1918 172.16/12 address detected (1:15934:11)

high

Potential Corporate Policy Violation

PROTOCOL-DNS dns response for rfc1918 10/8 address detected (1:13249:14)

high

Potential Corporate Policy Violation

Having read the SNORT documentation for each of these I think I know what the issue, but my confidence level is not very high & would appreciate some advice from some more seasoned veterans.

Our setup is such that we have defined our HOME_NET variable as the 10/8 network, and left the EXTERNAL variable at 0.0.0.0/0. What seems to be triggering the above violations is when a server receives a response to a DNS query that contains a 172.x.x.x address. I think it may have something to do with how we have set our variables. Could it be that adding the 172/12 network to our HOME_NET variable set could fix this issue?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

pazzi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Devlin

Your home_net should include all the network addresses that this sensor is protecting.
Your external_net should exclude your home_net.

Thanks

Thank you pazzi for your swift response

That was as I suspected, partly. The 172/12 is legitimately part of our internal network so it makes sense we would include it as part of the HOME_NET variable. I say partly as I wasn't aware we would also need to explicitly exclude it from the EXTERNAL variable.

In your opinion does it make sense that the violation we are seeing is therefore a result of not setting our variable set(s) correctly?

Thank you.

Yes, could be.
Many snort rules trigger based on server replies.
Incorrect values to variable sets can generate false positives.

Paul

Thank you Paul

Appreciate the speedy responses. We'll look into this and update this thread with the findings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card