Helpful
Replies

Reimage AIS SSM20 on secondary firewall

pskipton01
Level 1
Level 1

I have two firewalls asa 5520 each has AIP-SSM

20. I need to reimage the IPS on the secondary firewall

To avoid a failover do I need to shut off the SSM on the primary firewall. Do I need to turn off failover? What would be the way to do this to not disturbe the primary firewall?

1 Reply 1

cvilleme
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Perry,

I am assuming that you have an active/standby ASA failover configuration, is that correct?  Instead of the terms 'primary' and 'secondary', it's better to refer to the current failover state of each firewall, i.e., 'active' and 'standby', since it is those states that determine what fails over to what.  If you are reimaging the AIP-SSM-20 in the standby ASA, then that won't impact the active ASA.  You would only impact the active ASA if you were reimaging the AIP-SSM-20 in the active ASA.

Let's assume that you needed to upgrade or reimage or reboot the AIP-SSM-20 in the active ASA within an active/standby failover deployment and did not want to trigger an ASA failover.  In that case, you have the two options you mention -- Option #1) first shutdown the AIP-SSM-20 in the standby ASA and then perform the reimage of the module in the active ASA, or Option #2) temporarily disable failover, reimage the AIP-SSM-20, and then re-enable failover.

Regards,
Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card