cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Error : execUpgradeSoftware error on IPS SSM

Ronald Nutter
Level 1
Level 1

One of my sensors stopped getting updates before Christmas.  When I tried to manually update the sensor, I got the followig message that said there wasnt enough space on the drive.  I have 4 other sensors that arent showing this problem.  I followed the steps in ASA: Troubleshoot AIP-SSM (Document ID 97405) and was able to get the problem resolved at that point and was able to manually apply the signature update.

I looked this morning and the problem has come back.  This says to me that there is another problem out there.  Tried opening a case with TAC for assistance and was sorely disappointed.  The person that called me either hadnt seen a sensor before or didnt know how to look up the error I clearly reported in the notes when I opened the case.  Since it appears that I am on my own on this, has anyone else seen this problem and what did you do to fix it ?

3 Replies 3

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

You are not on your own. You need to re-que your case untill you get a TAC engineer that is familiar with the IPS products. They exist, I;ve worked with many of them (as well as some of the folks you seem to have run into).

Re-queuing a case may look like it causes a delay in finding a fix, but in the long run it will save you time.

- Bob

cvilleme
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ronald,

I took a look at your TAC case.  I will say that the most common cause of this error is either the .pmz files or (with the modules) the recovery files taking up too much space in the sensor filesystem.  This can be caused by a variety of things (a previous upgrade that perhaps failed in an odd way is one example), so more troubleshooting and analysis would be needed to determine root cause.  Your TAC engineer offered up what is typically the correct workaround to resolve the immediate problem of not being able to upgrade due to lack of free filesystem space on the sensor.

However, it sounds like your concern is not, "How do I free up filesystem space in the sensor and what files are safe to delete so that I can perform my manual upgrade?", but rather you want to know: "1. Is this the same problem that I encountered before?" and "2. Is there a bug filed for this problem or a permanent fix available?".  If I were you, I'd re-emphasize to your TAC engineer that this is what you are needing to know.

For #1, you'd need to check the sensor filesystem and see what's taking up the space.  If deleting the .pmz and/or recovery files allows the upgrade to succeed, then this is what was probably filling up your sensor again.  For #2, we'd need to do more analysis to determine why this is recurring with this sensor.

Also, you may want to upload a current 'show tech' for this sensor to the TAC case, I didn't see one uploaded yet.

Regards,
Chris

Martin Cristian
Level 1
Level 1

Check your FTP server logs, i believe is a problem there with file access or share.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card