cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1 CUCM server as publisher and subscriber

lieuyong10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, if I have 2 CUCM servers, can I make 1 of the CUCM servers as publisher and subscriber and another CUCM server as subscriber? Or it can only be 1 publisher and 1 subscriber?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If you have only one server that has to be a Publisher server only. You can do all changes on this server and also all the phones register to it.

When you say can i make it both pub and sub - to clarify this, a server can have one and only one role. If the cluster has only one server that has to be a Publisher server. The only difference between Pub and sub is:

Publisher server is the read/write version of the database, where you do all your configurations and make changes. Changes are replicated to other servers in the cluster.

Subscriber server is the READ only version of database, you can not do configurations here (other than some user facing configs).

Both Publisher and Subscriber can perform all other call processing functions.

The concept of Subscriber servers comes into play when you have more than one servers. Then you will have one server as Publisher and others as Subscriber servers, as a cluster can have only one publisher (with master database) and multiple subscribers. But If you have only one server it will be publisher with (master database) and will perform all functions. Any number of servers you decide to add later on to that cluster will be subscriber servers.

Please mark the question as answered if it resolves your queries.

Terry

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

alap84
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/3_0/cm30srnd.pdf

and check cisco callmanager cluster section ...

Hi Eveyone,

I made a test on my 10.5.2  CUCM system. I can able to configuration change on the subscriber during publisher working state. I can add sip trunk, phone and users  is it normal  behaviour ?

I understood on this (Rob Hofman comment) link.  https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10314291/database-read-and-write-subscriber

Thanks,

Naiman Ghori
Level 1
Level 1

You can make 1 publisher and 1 subscriber but not your first option

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi - every cluster will have one and only one server as publisher server. You can not have a cluster without a publisher and also you can not have more than one server as publisher. So in your case you can have one server as a publisher server and one as a subscriber server. You can make sub server as your primary call processing server and use publisher as a backup call processing server. You can also load balance based on your requirements.

Please let us know if this answers your question. Please mark the question answered if you have no other query.

Terry

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I see. Thanks a lot.

Then if I only have 1 cucm server, can I make it as publisher and subscriber togeher?

Hi,

If you have only one server that has to be a Publisher server only. You can do all changes on this server and also all the phones register to it.

When you say can i make it both pub and sub - to clarify this, a server can have one and only one role. If the cluster has only one server that has to be a Publisher server. The only difference between Pub and sub is:

Publisher server is the read/write version of the database, where you do all your configurations and make changes. Changes are replicated to other servers in the cluster.

Subscriber server is the READ only version of database, you can not do configurations here (other than some user facing configs).

Both Publisher and Subscriber can perform all other call processing functions.

The concept of Subscriber servers comes into play when you have more than one servers. Then you will have one server as Publisher and others as Subscriber servers, as a cluster can have only one publisher (with master database) and multiple subscribers. But If you have only one server it will be publisher with (master database) and will perform all functions. Any number of servers you decide to add later on to that cluster will be subscriber servers.

Please mark the question as answered if it resolves your queries.

Terry

great, I read and remember after reading your statements on the blog.

Precise definition which i ever read....
Thanks

Precise definition I ever read.
Thanks

lieuyong10
Level 1
Level 1

I see. Thanks a lot

No Problem. Glad I was able to help!

subscriber needs to me 80 ms round trip to actually join the cucm cluster.

we had IM and P failed, so we tried to build another one on Asia cluster, so it can handle IM and P for US cluster.

this also seems to be requirement for CUCM subscriber call manager, not just IM and P