cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10-digit and 7-digit local calls question...

p3t3rt0sh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Starting on a specific date in the near future (in about 3 weeks), we will be required to use 10-digits for all local calls (NANP).

Currently, if a user attempts to dial 10-digits for a local call, only the first 7 digits are accepted, so needless to say, we are not ready for this mandatory change.

We are currently running Cisco Unified CallManager version 4.2.3.  We have multiple sites/locations in our system, but all will fall under this same requirement.

I'm really not exactly sure where to start on this, but assume that a change will need to be made in both Call Manager Administration and on the actual gateways' configs (mostly 2811's) in order to assure 10-digit dialing while operating in SRST mode.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what other information might be needed to assist....and where to start.

Will it be possible to allow for both 7 and 10 digit local call dialing up until the deadline? Also what changes might need to be made after the deadline for 10 digit dialing is reached?

Many thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Most of the chnges you will need to make will only be on your route patterns. Your route patterns is the element of the CCM that controlls your outbound calls, hence this is what you will need to reconfigure. Depending on the type of gateway you use, you may also need to re configure your dial-peers if you are using H.323. In SRST mode, you will also need to re configure your dial-peers for the new 10 digit numbering. It shouldnt be a big deal as long as you do not have 10 digits numbering in your internal dialplan.

Please rate all useful posts

It looks like we currently are using 9.@ for route patterns for our local calls.

Do we keep these route patterns and add new route patterns that will allow for the 10 digit dialing, or do we delete the 9.@ patterns?

What patterns would I need to add for the 10 digit dialing (all NANP)?

Again, any guidance will be greatly appreciated...

For 10 digit dialing you can use 9.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX and for 11 digits you can use 9.1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX...

As per cisco best practise I'd recommend using above patterns. You can manipulate these to be even more specific if need be..

Hope this helps..

In this case, you might not need to do anything on CUCM other than configuring filters and caluses to allow this patterns to be routed. The important thing here is to be sure that the NANP contains this new 10 digits numbering plan. If its nothing new, I believe it shuld have it. You can do a test call and try one of this new numbers and see if it hit the gateway. If it does then your NANP can route this new numbers. You will need to make changes to your dial-peers if you are using an H.323 gateway

Message was edited by: aokanlawon

Please rate all useful posts

I did some consultancy work for a customer who was trying to do the same thing, but based on the GBNP

dial plan. The issue "really" came with the quantity of H323 gateways

and how they needed upgrading too. Infact in the end we adopted for a pure E164 addressing and did most of the dial plan directly once we had

upgraded the system. It was part of a larger upgrade of the solution where we had to address many things espeically around the way that it affected the users. To help understand the dial plan was correct (with the large quantity of gateways) I used the reporting engine from dominocomms.com as it provides a graphical report of RP's>RL's>Rg's and end gateways, really useful (they also had a great product that allowed the migration of the user extension mobility pins from CCM4 to CUCM6 (works on many versions i understand) and we estimate that this reduced the upgrade planning and helpdesk calls by 20 mans days)