cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2901 VoIP and fax relay

mbarlow
Level 1
Level 1

I currently run a 2901 in a remote location running through the CM in our corporate office. They since have requested running a virtual rightfax machine through that gateway. I was hoping I can have the rightfax server go straight through the GW without hitting the CM.

I am may be a moron here but is there anyway through dial-peers to tag from which PRI the call is coming from?

I have one PRI for the calls and two seperate PRIs (load balance) for the rightfax server running over IP.

Any guidance or Cisco documentation I should look over. I am having a difficult time fromulating a valid searcgh result for this situation.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do some number manipulation to 'tag' from where a call comes from. Voice translation-profile and rule.

View solution in original post

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I am reading your post correctly you want to partition the dial-peers in such a way that CUCM can only utilize one of the PRIs while RightFax can only utilize the other two. In addition to appending prefixes on ingress and then stripping them again at egress as Paolo suggested, I can think of two additional ways of accomplishing it:

1. Use MGCP for the CUCM-owned PRI and leave the other two normal H323/SIP. I'm not normally a fan of MGCP but this is an easy way out of this situation.
  2. Use Class of Restriction to partition the two systems apart from one another such that the dial-peers can only match a subset of what really exists. This is typically how I do it; however, it is requires a great deal of comfort with dial-peers and CoR to make it work. Here are a few pointers should you want to take this path:
    1. Create your basic Class of Restriction configuration.
    2. Duplicate your POTS dial-peers: one set for RightFax and one for CUCM and assign the CoR list memberships.
    3. You will need two separate incoming VoIP dial-peers and must use SIP URI-based matching to ensure that your CoR restrictions are enforced properly.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do some number manipulation to 'tag' from where a call comes from. Voice translation-profile and rule.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I am reading your post correctly you want to partition the dial-peers in such a way that CUCM can only utilize one of the PRIs while RightFax can only utilize the other two. In addition to appending prefixes on ingress and then stripping them again at egress as Paolo suggested, I can think of two additional ways of accomplishing it:

1. Use MGCP for the CUCM-owned PRI and leave the other two normal H323/SIP. I'm not normally a fan of MGCP but this is an easy way out of this situation.
  2. Use Class of Restriction to partition the two systems apart from one another such that the dial-peers can only match a subset of what really exists. This is typically how I do it; however, it is requires a great deal of comfort with dial-peers and CoR to make it work. Here are a few pointers should you want to take this path:
    1. Create your basic Class of Restriction configuration.
    2. Duplicate your POTS dial-peers: one set for RightFax and one for CUCM and assign the CoR list memberships.
    3. You will need two separate incoming VoIP dial-peers and must use SIP URI-based matching to ensure that your CoR restrictions are enforced properly.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Great tips from Paolo and Jonathan (+5).

I agree that MGCP could work but it is my least favorite option.

COR is an interesting idea, Jonathan. I hadn't thought about using that mechanism in this manner before.

I tend to follow the same route Paolo was suggesting. I "tag" a call on ingress and remove the "tag" on egress. I use this for much more than differentiating faxes and found the approach to be pretty modular. Though, I may feel differently as I process Mr. Jonathan's creativity!

-Bill (http://ucguerrilla.com)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

mbarlow
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all. I know where to go now!