cancel
Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
tom.gill
Beginner

2960 PoE with Non-Cisco Phone

We have a Cisco 2960-48PST-L and 48 Aastra ip phones.  The phones are 802.3af class 0 devices with a max power draw of 5W.  Obviously, these are non-Cisco phones which makes me concerned that the switch will allocate the full 15.4W from its power budget - even though the phone will never pull more than 5W.

So, my question is, "Will a 2960-48PST-L support 48 of these Aastra phones?"

Thanks!

Tom

1 REPLY 1
Kasiraman S
Beginner

Hi Tom,

You can use the interface configuration command to manually assign the power level on per port basis.

Switch(config-if)# power inline consumption 5000

You cannot check the actual power consumption but when you give # show power inlinecommand you can view the adjusted setting. Also if the device consume more than 5 W means it will not create any problem for the phone as the switch can provide that extra amount (For example 5.3) to the phone and would create a syslog entry for the overdrawn power. You can also refer the device documentation and configure the power based the maximum amount it would use.

--> 2960-48PST-L can support 48 PoE ports with total PoE power output capacity at 370W, it  support 24 ports at 15.4W, 48 ports at 7.7W. You are good to go.

Note: I'm not sure if 2960 through a syslog msg or not but the newer switches like 3570-E & 3560-E can measure the actual power used by the device and would through syslog msg.

Hope this helps and do rate the helpful post.

Thanks,

Kasi

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad