cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 PoE with Non-Cisco Phone

tom.gill
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 2960-48PST-L and 48 Aastra ip phones.  The phones are 802.3af class 0 devices with a max power draw of 5W.  Obviously, these are non-Cisco phones which makes me concerned that the switch will allocate the full 15.4W from its power budget - even though the phone will never pull more than 5W.

So, my question is, "Will a 2960-48PST-L support 48 of these Aastra phones?"

Thanks!

Tom

1 Reply 1

Kasiraman S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

You can use the interface configuration command to manually assign the power level on per port basis.

Switch(config-if)# power inline consumption 5000

You cannot check the actual power consumption but when you give # show power inlinecommand you can view the adjusted setting. Also if the device consume more than 5 W means it will not create any problem for the phone as the switch can provide that extra amount (For example 5.3) to the phone and would create a syslog entry for the overdrawn power. You can also refer the device documentation and configure the power based the maximum amount it would use.

--> 2960-48PST-L can support 48 PoE ports with total PoE power output capacity at 370W, it  support 24 ports at 15.4W, 48 ports at 7.7W. You are good to go.

Note: I'm not sure if 2960 through a syslog msg or not but the newer switches like 3570-E & 3560-E can measure the actual power used by the device and would through syslog msg.

Hope this helps and do rate the helpful post.

Thanks,

Kasi