cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 Switch Won't Recognize 7942G phone

MICHAEL BURNS
Level 1
Level 1

I am having an issue where I have a switch that won't recognize a new phone I am installing.  The port provides power, but it is in a down state.  Below is the debug ilpower events output when I plug in the phone:

719208: Aug  8 12:17:32.954 CDT: ILP uses AC Disconnect(Fa0/12): state= ILP_SHUT_OFF_S, event= CLI_START_DETECT_EV

719209: Aug  8 12:17:32.963 CDT: ILP uses AC Disconnect(Fa0/12): state= ILP_DETECTING_S, event= CLI_START_DETECT_EV

719210: Aug  8 12:17:33.466 CDT: ILP uses AC Disconnect(Fa0/12): state= ILP_DETECTING_S, event= IEEE_CLASS_DONE_EV

719211: Aug  8 12:17:33.466 CDT: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/12: Power Device detected: IEEE PD

719212: Aug  8 12:17:33.541 CDT: ILP uses AC Disconnect(Fa0/12): state= ILP_IEEE_PD_DETECTED_S, event= IEEE_PWR_GOOD_EV

719213: Aug  8 12:17:34.959 CDT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/12, changed state to down

Any ideas??  It seems the the switch doesn't recognize it as a Cisco IP phone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not sure why it is showing up at Not Completed.

On a 3750X, "Not Completed" will come up if the cable tested is really, really bad. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check if pins are bent inside the phone socket. Or it can be a faulty phone.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks like it's a faulty cable.

Do you have happen to have a 3560G/E/X or 3750G/E/X in nearby for you to test?  The appliance need not be PoE.

I tried various cables, plus I have it plugged directly into the switch, so it can't be a bad drop. 

I forgot to mention that when I plug it into a 3750X stack that I have in a different IDF, it comes right up.  Seems to me that it is an issue with the switch, however, I also tried using a power brick with poe disabled on that port and I am still getting the "ethernet disconnected" message.  I can plug my laptop into the port with no issues.

I forgot to mention that when I plug it into a 3750X stack that I have in a different IDF, it comes right up.  Seems to me that it is an issue with the switch, however, I also tried using a power brick with poe disabled on that port and I am still getting the "ethernet disconnected" message.  I can plug my laptop into the port with no issues.

Are you using the same cable when you plugged the phone directly to the 3750X?

I tried various cables, plus I have it plugged directly into the switch, so it can't be a bad drop.

Can you explain the physical cabling?  Do you mean something like this:

switch <--> patch cable <--> patch panel <--> horizontal cabling <-> patch panel <--> cable <--> phone

Yes, I used the same cable that I used on the 3750X.

To avoid any cabling faults, it is plugged directly into the switch.

switch <--> patch cable <--> phone

I know this is a bit bizzare...

Yes, I used the same cable that I used on the 3750X.

Coool!

Plug it back to the 3750X and run the following commands:

1.  Command:  test cable tdr interface ;

2.  Wait for approximately 5 to 7 seconds;

3.  Command:  sh cable tdr interface ; and

4.  Post the output to #3.

Here you go:

BMR_1219_SW#sh cable-diagnostics tdr interface gi2/0/23
TDR test last run on: August 08 22:11:54

Interface Speed Local pair Pair length        Remote pair Pair status
---------     -----     ----------      ------------------ ----------- --------------------
Gi2/0/23  auto    Pair A     N/A                N/A         Not Completed
                        Pair B     N/A                N/A         Not Completed
                        Pair C     N/A                N/A         Not Completed
                        Pair D     N/A                N/A         Not Completed

You got this result from a 3750X?

Wow.  That's a bad cable run if you have waited 7 seconds and you get "Not Completed" result.

So if you plug the phone directly to the 3750X using the same patch cable, it works, right?

Phone is up and running on the 3750X.  Not sure why it is showing up at Not Completed. 

Not sure why it is showing up at Not Completed.

On a 3750X, "Not Completed" will come up if the cable tested is really, really bad.