cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4.1(3) Call Manager question

Talgonadia
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running a Media Convergence Server as a Domain Controller with 4.1(3) CallManager on it that I'm doing as a lab for school  When I go to start the Cisco CallManager Service I get an error 1051.  I am unable to start the Call Manager service.  Any ideas on what is causing this?

3 Replies 3

kvandeve
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeremy,

Best step is to verify which 1051 you're hitting:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1051&source=

Has this been failing from the start?

Note, though this may not be the source of the problem you are seeing, Cisco recommends against putting CUCM in a domain.

kurt

I know that, but I was running all the other services on the MCS such as DNS, DHCP, and it was a DC for AD... so I finally went and reinstalled the OS, and just put CallManager on there and its working!  I got to the point where the phones would get some sort of registration error on them.  The service was started so I'll see tonight what the error was when I go back in.  It looks like when I created the DC it would kill CallManager.

Hi Jeremy,

The installation of Cisco CallManager (CCM) on a Domain Controller is not supported.   This is for a bunch of different reasons (including the CPU utilization issues that this would cause).   I've also seen numerous reports of using dcpromo to make CCM a DC causing it's services to not start.   If the CCM servers need to be members of a domain then they cannot be Domain Controllers in that domain.

Even all the way back in CCM 3.2, we did not recommend making CCM a Domain Controller, "Cisco strongly recommends that you do not configure any server in the cluster as a Domain Controller. If you configure any server in the cluster as a Domain Controller, you cannot upgrade or reinstall Cisco CallManager on the server":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/3_2/cm322ins.html#wp348881

The usual solution for a CCM server that was configured as a DC was simply to re-install from the OS up, and perform a BARS restore.

Kind regards,

Craig