cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6941 Issues with DHCP

c.holloway
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having an issue with some 6941 phones we're deploying for some of the clients.  Here is the scenario:

The phones are all directly connected to an 8port PoE 3560 switch.  This switch is running DHCP for the site and all workstations can get an IP without issue.  However, the 6941 phones have intermittent trouble getting an IP.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistancy behind it, sometimes a phone will not work and then sometimes it will.  Sometimes moving the phone to another port will allow it to grab an IP but this isn't 100%.  The only way I've found to reliably resolve the issue is to reboot the switch, which while effective, is not really a fix.

I've turned on DHCP debugging and when an affected phone boots I never see it make an attempt to contact the DHCP server on the switch.  Consequently the phone can never register and when this site goes live on voice this is going to be a problem.

I've had this exact problem with 6901 model phones and an SG500 switch at another client so I feel like it might be related to the model or possibly the firmware? 

The 6941s are currently running 9.3.1.3.  The 6901s at the other client are running 9.1.1.0.\

I can provide any pertinent configs or debugs you need, any thoughts?

EDIT: One additional thing.  When this issue is going on, the phone will lock up when you access the Settings Menu.  It's not always at the same place but it happens to every phone that experiences the issue.

0 Replies 0