Views
Helpful
Replies

7911 tftp issues with Nortel 5520 switches

jalexan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I am having issues upgrading the firmware on my 7911 phones, all other phones appear to be upgrading fine. I am using a dhcp server on the lan with Option 150 pointing to the call manager.

The 7911's are not showing the TFTP server ip under the network configuration page and showing TFTP Errors under the status Messages.

All other phones are upgrading fine and show the TFTP server IP under the network configuration page of the phone.

The only thing out of the ordinary is I am using Norel 5520 switches.

Are there any known issues with 7911 phones and Notel 5520 swithes??

Thanks

Jamie

2 Replies 2

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Third party switches should only makea different regarding the VLAN the phone sends a DHCP Discover out on.  We use CDP to negotiate the voice VLAN, so with the Nortel switch you need to configure the switchport the phone is in as an access port with the vlan for voice.  Nothing special should be occurring at the TFTP portion of the boot sequence.

Can you post the TFTP log during a boot sequence?  Or a packet capture of the boot sequence from the phone?

As pointed out the packet capture would be best.  One other alternative would be to use LLDP-MED when CDP cannot be used: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/cether/configuration/guide/ce_lldp-med.html.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: