cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7936 or 7937 wireless external mic

crbates
Level 5
Level 5

Does anyone know of a wireless (prefer lapel mic) that can connect to the external mic ports on a 7936 or 7927 phone?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!

The 7937 supports wireless lapel microphone as mentioned in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps379/ps8759/product_data_sheet0900aecd806e021a.html

This is what's been tested by Polycom:

Wireless SoundStation Microphone System, Frequency A = 171.905MHz :

SoundStation, SoundStation Premier and SoundStation2 -

Wireless SoundStation Microphone System, Frequency F = 203.400MHz Sound

Station, Sound Station Premier and SoundStation2 -

** See Footnote Below Regarding Frequency and Country Availability

Product Family Subsection Footnote:

** Available in the U.S. only -- frequencies may interfere with other public networks.

** Two frequencies are available to avoid interference if 2 units are used in adjoining rooms.

I did some research and found some comments from Polycom, on the use of non-Polycom wireless mics:

We only tested with the Polycom wireless lapel mic (available in NA through standard

channels such as Ingram, Tech Data or local resellers to include DMRs like CDW) and the

AudioTechnica. The Audio Technica did not test well and we are not recommending it.

Some feedback from the audio engineers:

The VTX1000/SoundStation2 support an external microphone via the AUX IN jack, when the device menu is set up appropriately. The 7937 supports this same function via its 2.5mm connector. This external mic can be wired or

wireless, the only constraint is that this needs to be a "line level" signal.

a. Most wireless mics are line level by design. Hence, most good wireless

mics will likely work fine. We've tested our own wireless (for domestic market) and the Shure SLX (for international), to be able to give a specific confident answer to this question, but the fact is that many more will work.

b. Most studio and conferencing mics are "mic level", which is a much lower level. They are normally amplified using a preamplifier module or a sound mixer (for multiple mics). Consequently, a microphone plus a preamp would work fine with the VTX1000/SoundStation2 or Rockpile. Two examples of wired microphones are the Shure SM58 (classic microphone look) or the Shure MX418 (very compact). They can be gooseneck-mounted, or on a desktop stand. But there are hundreds that will work; these are just the two we've experimented with recently.

HTH, if it does, please rate :)

Cheers,

Teresa.

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

Hi Teresa,

Really an excellent answer here! This is the first good reference to this question that I have seen. Sadly, the Forum will not let this post be rated (notice the way it is listed on the page)

I'll find another one of your great posts and give it the +5 that this one deserves :)

Cheers!

Rob

Weird! anyway I saw ur 5 points on the MCS post! Thanks Rob!

Yor answer on which mic and the cables was just what I needed.  Thanks. I will also have to rate you somewhere else.

Glad to hear the info was useful! :)

We have a 7937 conference phone in a large boardroom. The boardroom has overhead speakers for paging. Is there anyway we can connect the speakers to the 7937 to be able to hear the audio from the 7937 over the speakers?

Teresa,

I am sorry to jump in on your post here. Have you or others had any issues with teh 7937 turning off its internal microphones when the external mics are connected? We have an install where this seems to be happening. User of the external (Polycom brand) lapel mic works and always sounds great. But everyone else in the room is quiet!..

Brainstorming some ideas, would appreciate any thoughts.