Views
Helpful
Replies

7936 upgrade issue

chris_b
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Cisco 7936 that was homed on a V4 ccm and is happy at cmterm-7936-sccp.3-3-20.bin, i know need to move the phone to a V8 ccm and upgrade to cmterm-7936-sccp.3-3-21.cop.sgn

Issue is the phone is unable to find the correct TFTP file, looking at the phone is it searching for a cmterm-7936-sccp.3-3-21.bin file extension rather than the .sgn. I guess 7936's use signed loads? Do i have to upgrade anything else to get the phone to use this type of load?

Cheers

Chris

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you trying to upgrade the firmware while still on version 4? If so did you install this firmware on all TFTP servers in your cluster?

I think 3-3-20 to 3-3-21 upgrade path is perfectly fine, so why not wait till you upgrade CUCM and let the phones update the firmware then?

Chris

No the phone was working fine on ccm V4, i added the new f/w version to the V8 cluster and then moved the phone. Just that the phone looks for a file with the .bin extension ( or so the display says !!) I could have just left it on the V4 and upgraded but the customer is upgrading their clusters to V8 and wanted the phones upgraded at the same time.

the phone works ok just on the wrong f/w.

I figured that maybe this was an early version of 7936 that didn't jump at the chance of a cop.sgn? or is just faulty?

Cheers

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

I'll just add a note to the good ideas from the other Chris +5 buddy!

For CUCM 4.x you'd need to use the .exe or .zip rather than the cop.sgn

Cisco Unified IP Conference Station 7936G 3.3(21)- Compatible Unified CM Versions: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3

cmterm-7936-sccp.3-3-21.exe

or

cmterm-7936-sccp.3-3-21.zip

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

Thanks Rob, but i am using version 8, the version 4 was upgraded to version 8.0 and i think i have to use the cop.sgn files

Cheers

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Chris,

I read "is" homed rather than "was" homed Sorry my friend, my bad!

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

Can you check the device defaults on the CUCM 8.x cluster

and see what's listed for the 7936. It should be;

cmterm_7936.3-3-21-0

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob. I tried it out and....

if i set the defaults to be cmterm-7936.3-3-21-0, then it is totally ignored, there is no reference to trying to access tftp etc. (This is even with a factory default reset)

If i set it to 7936.3-3-21-0 then i see a prompt for "7936.3-3-21-0.bin not found on tftp server".. which is true !!, the file extension is cop.sgn

Whats interesting is the the current App Load id on the phone is 7936.3-3-20-0.bin, which is the last one loaded form the old CCM v4.

I think if i installed the V4 version, the phone would pick it up.

This all make me think that the phone is faulty.

Thanks for your help

Chris

The name that you put in device defaults isn't the actual bin file. The file name referenced there is a loads file that contain a list of all the files needed to download the firmware. The device default should point to this loads file, but without the .loads. I looked at a CUCM 8.6.2 for that specific phone and the device default on that was set to cmterm_7936.3-3-21-0

Please remember to rate all useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

Just to be sure...this is an underscore between cmterm_7936 not

cmterm-7936.3-3-21-0

Could be a faulty phone, but just wanted to double check.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: