cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 Configuration issue

IPphonepain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi was wondering if any one can help configure a 7940 IP to the service network we are using in the uk which is soho66.  We have connected the phone via a router.  Its running on SIP software and we have entered the network access details onto the SIP configuration Line 1 function I.e. user names, passwords and have entered the proxy address sip.soho66.co.uk and set the proxy port 8060.

According to our provider that should work but we have not altered any of the network setup settings on the settings menu 3.

We have a dail tone after the phone boots up but there is a telephone symbol displayed in corner with a X next too it.

Any ideas where we are going wrong or what we could be missing. thanks

4 Replies 4

dksingh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

X mark next to the button/line indicates that its is not registered

with the SIP proxy.

From the phone menu (SIP Config) or .cnf file you need to point it

to the proxy/port. Do you have a name server (DNS) configured under

network settings if u r using proxy name and not IP ?

You can telnet/ssh to the phone's IP and ...

show register

sh config

enable deb sip-mess

DNS server setting settings set as 192.168.0.1.  And my phones IP address is 192.168.0.5 so what do i have to do as I don't fulliy understand what you mean by

"

You can telnet/ssh to the phone's IP and ...

show register

sh config

enable deb sip-mess.  "

Sorry to sound dumb.  thanks Harjinder

i'm using the proxy address sip.soho66.co.uk and the proxy port 8060. if that helps thanks Harjinder

Can u ping sip.soho66.co.uk from 192.168.0.1 ?

7940/60 phones have CLI interface that let's u monitor/troubleshoot, please see:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/ipp7960/addprot/sip/admin/8_0/siptrb75.htm#wp998605

These phone use a config file SIP.cnf where you can populate all the relevant parameters.

You should also take a look at following site which is Asterisk specific but has tons of

good info on configuring and troubleshooting these phones.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx