cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 phones picking SIP instead of a SCCP configuration

BSOC support
Level 1
Level 1

7940 phones are picking up a SIP configuration instead of a SCCP configuration.

16 Replies 16

is it only 1 7940 or all 7940 phones?

Do you have any other models on the CM?

What CM version are you on?

What is your auto reg settings on the CM?

Best Regards

Within System > Enterprise parameter the auto registration phone protocol is set for SCCP.

It is happening on all 7940 phones that has been deployed recently. Please note that these 7940 phones has been off the network for sometime and been trying to re-deploy on the network again.

CUCM version :  7.1.5.35901-1

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to system > Enterprise parameter

and  check  auto registration phone protocol should be SCCP.. If it is SIP then the phone will automatically become SIP.

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

Within System > Enterprise parameter the auto registration phone protocol is set for SCCP.

It is happening on all 7940 phones that has been deployed recently. Please note that these 7940 phones has been off the network for sometime and been trying to re-deploy on the network again.

CUCM version :  7.1.5.35901-1

May the phones used to be SIP phones.

If your Auto-reg is set to SCCP you go and delete all the SIP phones and let them re-register.

Restart the TFTP service before deleting the phones on both Publisher and Subscriber.

Check the SCCP and SIP load ver under devices --> device settings --> Device Defaults

Make sure you have the correct load files here:

And also make sure the correct device pool is assigned to the SCCP load.

Best Regards

Can you try deleting a 7940 IP phone from CUCM and readding it manually? Does it still take SIP load? try a restart of TFTP service as well.

Manish

Hello guys,

I'm still having this problem. 7940 phones are auto-registering and being handed a SIP firmware instead of a SCCP firmware from the CUCM. The 7940's used to be registered with this CUCM but have been out of use for some time. Now the customer wants to re use them however this is happening.

This is not happening with any other phone model.

As per above I can add a 7940 manually as a SCCP phone without problems.

I have restarted the TFTP service, deleted the 7940 and then let it re-register but again it comes in as a SIP phone.

Autoregistration is set to SCCP within the Enterprise parameters.

The load versions within CUCM are P00308010200 for SCCP and P0S3-8-12-00 for SIP.

I have also obtained some TFTP SDI traces and it appears that the phone is finding a SIP config file within its 'config cache' and transferring it to the phone!!??

Any ideas......

Regards

BSOC

AlbertoVilas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I´m facing the same issue in a 7.1.5.35900-7, with the same firmware. 

Problm also affects 7960 phones (they use same firmware as 7940). We have try with another models, i.e. 7912, and autoregistraton with SCCP work fine.

Anyone has solved the problem?

Thanks and regards,

Alberto Vilas

Hi Alberto,

Have you tried the various suggestions shared on this post already? If you can confirm that then someone can suggest the next course of action.

Manish

Hi Manish,

We have tried to restart the TFTP services in all nodes, but 7940´s still picks SIP configuration.

Any other suggest to try?

Thanks and regards,

Alberto Vilas

Have you tried adding it manually, tried assigning a different callmanager group? If yes, then i would suggest taking a packet capture from the phone after deleting it from database and readding it so that we can see the communication between the IP phone and cucm.

HTH

Manish

Hi Manish,

Manual registration works fine, we will talk wth customer to try to get a packet capture at time of autoregistration.

Thanks and regards,

Alberto Vilas

Hi,

We have took a packet capture at the time of the 7940 autoregistration. 

At the end you can observe that phone is autoregistered as SIP...

I don´t know if anybody have found same problem and has been able to solved it?

Thanks and regards,

Alberto Vilas

Hi Alberto,

As seen from the capture, the IP phone requests SCCP , SIP and MGCP config files and gets File not found response from tftp server. Then it requests XMLDefault.cnf.xml and gets "Error Code: Unknown (11)" . This points to the following bug

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtc32084/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Symptom:
Previously configured 7940 or 7960 IP Phones may attempt & fail to auto register as SIP. Potentially other 2nd generation IP phones may be affected as well,(7902, 7905, 7910 & 7912). These devices do not have the ability to register as SIP so they register as SCCP instead.
Sniffer traces will show failed TFTP transfer of SEP.cnf.xml , SIP & XMLDefault.cnf.xml error code 11.
(7960 phone after reset displays auto reg sip phone unable to register)

Conditions:

Currently configured devices:
- Upgrade or new install of 8.0(1)
- 7940 or 7960, potentially 7902, 7905, 7910 & 7912
- Many Service URL's, Phone Services
- SEP.cnf.xml exceeds 8k
- XMLDefault.cnf.xml exceeds 8k
(when 7960 phone is in database as 7960 SCCP phone)

Workaround:
If the cluster has been upgraded to 8.0(1) or 8.0(2.10000-24) & the IP Phones failing to register are 7940 or 7960, modify the device defaults load for 7940 & 7960 "SIP" to utilize a SCCP phone load. Power cycle device.
If planning an upgrade to 8.0(1) or 8.0(2.10000-24) & wish to mitigate the possibility of encountering this issue, you may apply the same workaround after the publisher is upgraded but before upgrading nodes where phones are
registered.

Additional Information:
Issue occurs when the phone specific configuration file, SEP.cnf.xml, exceed 8k bytes & the XMLDefault.cnf.xml exceed 8k bytes. This also affects 7940 & 7960 phones that may need to auto register, not have a SEP.cnf.xml. These these will initially require XMLDefault.cnf.xml.

Download file from TFTP server & verify size, should not be over 8192 bytes.

tftp get SEP.cnf.xml
tftp get XMLDefault.cnf.xml

(It was noticed that 7960 phone that are configured in CUCM and you can download the config files for are choosing to get sip 7960 firmware and trying to register as autoreg sip devices.)

Also be aware of CSCtg22649 SCCP IP Phones are unable to download their config file SEP.cnf.xml if >8k

In your case the situation seems opposite but i have seen cases where its affecting the system by registering the phones as SIP with auto reg protocol configured as SCCP.

You can check the size of XMLDefault.cnf.xml as described above and verify if you are running into the above bug if the size is greater than 8kb.

HTH
Manish
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: