cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7942 Handset Polling to Call Manager Issue/Question.

VLT06
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Having a bit of difficulty to which I hope someone can shed some light on…

During my usual day, I will often get requests to rebuild phones for one reason or other to which I delete the phone out of call manager and then rebuild fresh to keeps standards etc… What I am finding is that if I deleted a phone and do not re-build it before the phone restarts, the phone will need to be physically un-plugged and re-plugged so the phone hits the CallManager again to take its new configuration. If I rebuild in time before it does it’s first restart, then it will be ok and automatically re-register.

Is there some type of polling that occurs or should occur that the phone keeps looking at the call manager?

Call Manager - 8.6.2.21900-5

Any help appreciated!

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have couple of options:

1. disable auto registration, this may or may not be a good option depending on your companies deployment strategy

2. Before deleting the phone, build the new phone with dummy mac address, then once all configuration is complete simply copy the MAC address from the old phone, delete it and past the MAC address to replace the dummy mac address, you will have several seconds to do this which should be plenty of time.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

With point number 1, we don’t use auto registration as this just assigns the number automatically which is not fit for purpose

With point number 2, That is sort of what I am doing at the moment but ever now and again something might go stray where it will take me longer and therefore I miss the opportunity to replace in time.

In saying that, still, shouldn’t the phones poll the Call Manager at intervals to see if there is a configuration there?

I see your point, so after you delete the phone, the phone becomes unregistered and shows something like DBerror on the screen

Once you build the phone you need to kick start it in order for it to attempt to re-register?

I am not aware of any parameter anywhere that would change this behavior if this is what you are seeing, I would think it would attempt to re-register periodically though.

HTH,

Chris

Yes, spot on, need the kickstart.

I would also tend to think it would attempt to re-register periodically however just wanting to see if it does and if you can manipulate to time period.