Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 File Auth Error

Pedro Francezi
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I´m using a lab enviroment with CUCM 7.1 and some 7960 Ip Phones.

One of then shows a error when is starting up: "File Auth Error"

The Firmware version is on the latest version, i've tryed to execute a factory reset on the phone, but it does not work!

Any ideas, please?

3 Replies 3

tpfrankli
Level 5
Level 5

Take a look at the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/7_0/sip/english/administration/guide/7960oipS.html

Boils down to either the files are corrupted on TFTP or the phone needs CTL / ITL cleared.

• The file is corrupted. If the file is a phone configuration file, delete the phone from the Cisco Unified Communications Manager database using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration. Then add the phone back to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager database using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.
  • There is a problem with the CTL file and the key for the server from which files are obtained is bad. In this case, run the CTL client and update the CTL file, making sure that the proper TFTP servers are included in this file.

~~~
Rate helpful posts
Blog - http://tripplehelix.net

~~~ Rate helpful posts Blog - http://tripplehelix.net

bbiandov
Level 1
Level 1

The reset sequence provided by Cisco is simply wrong. It never seemed to resolve that error until I found the real sequence which did resolve the problem from the first try:

Power Cycle and hold the # key till the extension lights blink amber…then press 3491672850*#

I have no idea why this was never published or suggested by China TAC on numerous calls for related issues before.

Do provide feedback whether this worked for you!

Hi bbiandov,

What you've described as the factory reset sequence is infact a hard reset and not a soft reset (yes, there are 2 kinds of factory resets). Soft factory reset is what is recommended in documentation.

A soft reset does the following:

1. deletes key files on the phone including /etc/init.tab
  2. reboots
  3. phone recovers default loads file from TFTP server

A hard reset formats /flash0 blowing away everything except CNU.  All settings and personalization of the phone is removed. There are several cautionary steps that need to be taken when doing this as well. Lastly, I believe the hard reset only applies or is meant for 3rd Gen phones and not 7940s/60s.

Hi Pedro,

Cisco provides image authentication with its various IP phone protocols.  Image authentication allows the phone to detect if the image has been tampered with before it is programmed into the phone.  If the image fails the authentication process then the phone will reject the image.  Image authentication occurs through signed files.  All Cisco 7940 and 7960 IP Phone loads 5.0 and newer are signed and can only be upgraded or downgraded to other signed releases.

The firmware uses signed (authenticated) files.  This step improves IP phone security on the Cisco Unified IP Phone models 7940 and 7960.

When you say the firmware is the latest one, I'm assuming you are referring to 8.1(2)SR2, correct? My take on this is - this phone was probably running a phone firmware which was older than 8.0(5) before you tried to register it with UCM 7.1.

As per the release notes for firmware version 8.1(2)SR2:

You cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2)SR2 directly from firmware release 8.0(5) or an earlier release. Upgrade to firmware release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to release 8.1(2)SR2.

I would request you to try installing firmware 8.1(1) and see if it registers. If it does, then proceed to upgrade to the latest one.

HTH.

--
Regards,
Harmit.