cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7965g not locating dhcp on home network

eastwestauto
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a simple network at home with an unmanaged Netgear gigabit switch.  Since it does not support PoE, I purchased a separate PoE switch when I purchased 6 7965g phones that I wanted to implement with Asterisk.

I use a Synology DS412+ NAS drive which includes DHCP and TFTP applications that all my wired computers pickup IP4 addresses from with no problem.  There are only 3 or 4 devices requiring DHCP on that network.

My 7965g phone connections are all connected to the PoE switch, which has one port connected to the Netgear switch.  If I plug a laptop into one of those Cat5 jacks, I get right on DHCP.

When i plug the 7965g in, and perform a 123456789*0# reset, so it will seek out dhcp, it just stays on the upgrading screen.  I was watching for DHCP packet activity with WireShark and see no requests, ACK, Informs or anything to a new IP address.

TFTP isn't logging anything either for sending out the 9-3-1 firmware, so it seems as if the phone can't find the DHCP server.

Do I "have" to have a separate VLAN for my IP phones just so they will find the DHCP server?  Anything else I'm missing?

10 Replies 10

Guru Mysoruu
Level 1
Level 1

Is  option 150 enabled  for DHCP Scope.

With Option 150 enabled,The phone asks for the tftp server path,downloads files and get regisitered.

Check this

http://technicafe.net/2012/06/configuring-dhcp-on-cisco-router-for-ip.html

Gurudath

Hi,

Also check whether the IP helper-address is configured for reaching the DHCP server.

Regards,

Gnan.

brmeade
Level 4
Level 4

Is the DHCP server on the same VLAN the phone is in?

that's a good question.  its a home network and my netgear switch isn't manageable, so there aren't defined VLAN's for my servers vs. phones.  is that required?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've got Asterisk running an a Raspberry Pi.  I have a CP-7970 so the SIPmacaddress.xml.cnf is the same as the 7965G.

1.  You need DHCP Option 150.

2.  You DO NOT NEED IP Helper address.  Once your 7965G hits the Voice VLAN, there's only one-way-to-go.

3.  Your firmware, I would recommend you stay away from SIP firmware 9.X.  The NAT is really, really broken.  Downgrade to the SIP 8.X and you should be fine.

Hi Leo, these SIP filenames are either typos on various sites or different.  I see references to "SIPMAC.cnf.xml" as well as "SEPMAC.cnf.xml", are these phone and sip firmware dependent?

79X0G will take SIPmacaddress.cnf.xml.  The newer models, 79X5G, will take SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml.

Just want to give you a "warning" that your topic is getting very close to "out of bounds", in regards to IP Telephony, SIP and Asterisk (all flavours).  Best go to voip-info.org.

We can help you if you have problems with your 7965G but anything else is "out of bounds".  Sorry.

NOTE:  PM me if you run into issues.

Strictly staying with Cisco IP telephony, then, is it a requirement to use a managed switch and create a VLAN strictly for SIP based telephony on my home network, or can the traffic coexist with other traffic, especially where my switch is unmanaged?

Hi

In Cisco IPT deployment, it is not mandatory to use  managed switch and create a VLAN . VOIP traffic can coexist with other traffic.  But Cisco recomment to use ifferent VLAN for Voice.

Regards
Ronak Patel

Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Strictly staying with Cisco IP telephony, then, is it a requirement to use a managed switch and create a VLAN strictly for SIP based telephony on my home network, or can the traffic coexist with other traffic, especially where my switch is unmanaged?

Hmmm ... Yes and no.  No, you can use un-managed switch or even a hub (maybe!) to run IP Telephony.  You'll get "fun" times troubleshooting with this type of setup.

You can go to e-bay and get cheap 8-port 2940 switch (this is what I have at home).