Views
Helpful
Replies

7965G will not boot after factory reset

ciscotac16
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I went through the factory reset process for a 7965G phone, and the process looked normal up to a point:  After entering the reset code, the line buttons flash red (one after another, in order).  After that, the line buttons flash amber briefly, then the screen flashes very briefly (blank, just light), then the lower right three buttons flash once each (headset, mute, speaker), then the 6 lines buttons flash amber (two complete cycles), and then after that, simply nothing.  Screen dark, buttons dark. 

It is connected to a known good cable and switch port (different but same model phone works on that port / cable). 

I have tried resetting using both of these “factory reset” key sequences (not at the same time, of course):  123456789*0#, and 3491672850*#. 
Same result. 

Any other ideas would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Deb

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are right normally they are stuck in boot cycling. It doesn't make any better after unplug and plug back? May be unplug it and leave it for a while and then plug it back.

If DHCP/TFTP is on the same server. Can you turn on dhcp/tftp debugs (debug tftp events, debug ip dhcp server event/packet) to see if there is any activity at all?

You can also check if its got an ip address and if you can ping? (sh ip dhcp bind)

If not try with the old firmware if it makes any difference.

Its a sort of gamble when phone bricks - it may work or may not need to try all the options.

-Terry

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using CUCM or CUCME for call control? What's your CUCM version or 7965 current firmware version on the server? Is it the same on the phone or you know if phone had an older firmware version?

Anyways, couple of options to try:

1) Make sure phone has access to DHCP/TFTP server.

2) Unplug and plug it back, still doesn't works go to step 3.

3) Worst case is setup a PC based TFTP server using TFTPD. Here is the detailed instruction on how to do that: http://www.tricksguide.com/how-to-setup-a-tftp-server-tftpd32-windows.html

You will need to download the firmware files from Cisco portal ( try to use the same version as your phone was previously on) and put it in the TFTPD root directory. It will be zip file containing term.default.load and couple of files starting with cnu, apps, jar etc.

-Terry

Hi, Terry.

I'm on CME, version 8.6.  The 7965 firmware version on CME is SCCP 8-4-25.

The phone definitely has access to DHCP and TFTP (on the same router where CME is running).  Another 7965G is operating just fine (and some other phone models, too). 

I don't know if there's a way to learn what firmware it's running if it cannot boot at all....  The phone was purchased used, and so I don't know what it had on it. 

I guess I could try downloading an older version of firmware for this phone, and try that. 

What I'm  wondering is if the behavior I'm seeing is typical for a phone not able to load or use a particular firmware version, or not.  Usually I'm used to seeing phones keep rebooting if they have a problem, but this one doesn't.  I'm not sure if this is expected behavior, or maybe indicating a different problem. 

Thanks for your time and suggestion!  I'll see if I can figure out what might be a "good" older version to try in this instance.

Thanks,

Deb

You are right normally they are stuck in boot cycling. It doesn't make any better after unplug and plug back? May be unplug it and leave it for a while and then plug it back.

If DHCP/TFTP is on the same server. Can you turn on dhcp/tftp debugs (debug tftp events, debug ip dhcp server event/packet) to see if there is any activity at all?

You can also check if its got an ip address and if you can ping? (sh ip dhcp bind)

If not try with the old firmware if it makes any difference.

Its a sort of gamble when phone bricks - it may work or may not need to try all the options.

-Terry

Please rate helpful posts.

I had to try a different firmware version I used cmterm-7945_7965-sccp.8-3-2 that did not solve the issue.  Then I tried cmterm-7945_7965-sccp.9-3-1SR3-1.  Then it worked!  Finally

Hi, I have the same proplem reported above with a 7945 phone. Could you tell me what you did exactly to solve it?

Thank you.

CUCM 

We have a VLAN just for testing phones.  I run a FTP server on my computer plug the phone into the test vlan and the firmware I installed on my computer downloads to the phone.  I reset the phone to begin the download process.