cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7970 stuck on blue screen

leealanmoreau
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if I bricked this.  We used to use Asterisk so my 7960 phones and 1 7970 are flashed to SIP.  All works fine.  I tried to flash the 7970 back to SCCP but I think I screwed up the phone big time.  I wanted to flash them before I received my UC540 system so I flashed the 7960's back no problem using tftpd32 for Windows.

With the 7970 I had no problem flashing it before, however it started that it would sit on the Upgrading screen and do nothing, no tftp requests nothing.  So I tried to reset it and one guide online was saying to hold # while it reboots, wait for the amber lights to sequence once then dial the 3491672850*# code.  Every time I'd try to do that, the amber lights would stop after I dialed literally 34 and it would just go to the upgrading screen.

So the one time I tried to do it as fast as I could, but then the screen went totally blue.  I left it awhile and it stays bright blue.  I rebooted it over and over and same thing, it just turns on bright blue.  I noticed on my system that it tries to get an IP address and says:

Rcvd DHCP Rqst Msg for IP 0.0.0.0 MAC  7970MACADDRESS [date/time]

Previously allocated address 10.0.0.50 acked [date/time]

4556 Request 2 not processed [date/time]

That's all that happens.  It doesn't ask for firmware, nothing just sits on a blue screen.  Hoping maybe when I connect it to the UC540 it will help but has anyone seen this?  I can't find anything on google that details this issue.  It seems bricked but it's odd because literally all I did was type 349 when it rebooted.  Any suggestions?

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are many threads on this subject if you use search.

Note, please do not take offense, but in the UC500 forum I did mention to you that the Cisco UC learning curve is steep, and that is better to work with someone of experience to get started, rather than counting on Google. Maybe you're beginning to see why.

I'm not having any trouble yet with it, all pretty standard so far, just this phone that's giving me issues.  Only posted because I did use search.  Can you show me what you are looking for?  Because I can't find any threads on this, if I search here for 7970 blue screen all I find is people saying things like background images only show blue screen, or phone shows blue screen with weird text etc.  My phone is a solid blue screen from the time it turns on and never changes.  There's no text displayed, no flashing no nothing it's just a solid bright blue screen.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong but can't find any threads on it for some reason.  Will keep looking I guess?

Search 'phone stuck after factory reset', or similar terms.

Thanks I did check that, not to sound rude but my issue is not the same as those, as I've experienced those issues before.  Mine when you turn the phone on does nothing for 5 seconds then goes bright blue and stays solid blue.  It shows no text, no images, no nothing it's just solid blue.  Can leave it on for an hour and it stays solid blue, will try to take a picture of it.  I haven't found anyone with the same issue, I see tons about factory reset issues though like where it's stuck on the Upgrading screen etc, but I see absolutely nothing on the screen.

No matter how the screen looks like, the root issue is always the same - phone\ wants option 150 in dhcp and does not get it, or wants tftp and not gets it ( you have specified that is not the case).

I'll see if it's any different tomorrow connected to the UC540 instead of my Windows system.  The DHCP is set up for option 150, and I flashed 2 other 7970's using the exact same way.  If I plug them in they get an IP and download configs fine it's just this one that has gone all crazy on me.

Hi Lee

Also ensure that the Phone isn´t with static configuration, reset to factory reset should be a good way tto isolate the issue.

I hope this help

"Se você quiser alguém em quem confiar, confie em si mesmo. Quem acredita sempre alcança"
Renato Russo

Cheers
Bruno Rangel
Please remember to rate helpful responses using the star bellow and identify helpful or correct answers

But OP cannot configure the stuck phone, and factory reset apparently fails for him too.

I got it! , my bad !!!!

Cheers
Bruno Rangel

"Se você quiser alguém em quem confiar, confie em si mesmo. Quem acredita sempre alcança"
Renato Russo

Cheers
Bruno Rangel
Please remember to rate helpful responses using the star bellow and identify helpful or correct answers
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: