cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7971G phone failed firmware upgrade after reset

George Banuelos
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, an IP 7971G phone was transfered from 1 site (CUCM 6.1) to another site (CUCM 8.6) and registered fine.  However, the firmware on the 7971G remained as TERM71.DEFAULT.  The expected firmware upgrade to the default load for 7971G on the CUCM 8.6 --> SCCP70.9-2-1S did not take place.

An attempt was made to push the firmware upgrade by inserting the default firmware file name in the phone's hardware profile under the PHONE LOAD NAME field and a reset request was sent out.  The phone reset and re-registered, but did not upgrade the firmware.  A manual phone reset (# 1234567890) was then performed and now the phone is hung with a dimmed display showing the Cisco Systems page.  None of the buttons function.  What is the next step?

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If phone was running old firmware, you need to update to 8.5.2 before 9.x

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If phone was running old firmware, you need to update to 8.5.2 before 9.x

+5 Paolo for the correct answer.

George Banuelos
Level 1
Level 1

Understood,  I forgot this step.  Now, the CUCM 8.6 that the phone is on has the 9.2x firmware.  Does this require the introdcution of  SCCP70.8.5.2 firmware load files into the CUCM or does it have it pre-loaded.  If it does, how can this be verified?

If the older firmware files are not preloaded in the CUCM 8.6, I'm assuming that the old firmware files will need to be introduced into the CUCM.  How can this be accomplished without disrupting the current default loads?

Thank you for the help.

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m

Youn can load the firmware to CUCM and the restore the previous settings, or can do the update on a separate LAN using TFTPD32 on a PC.