cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8.5 Unity Connection UM tweaks

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

Running 8.5.1ES16.11900-16 unified Messaging with MS Exchange 2010. I knew how to tweak these settings in the Unity UM on the Windows version but at a loss here.

1. When I recieve a message from an unidentified caller it shows "From: Cisco Unity Connection Messaging System [mailto:unityconnection@ucxn01]".  I would like to change that to something more simple of meaningful to the users like "From: Voicemail"  Where can I change this?

2. When I recieve a message from an internal known caller it shows "From:userX@ucxn01" instead of userX@company.com.  So I can't reply to a Voicemail via email because it is using the the @HostnameofUnityConnection instead of the Corporate or Specified SMTP address.

Anyone know how to change either of these?

Shane

19 Replies 19

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

Figured out #2.

Cisco Unity Connection - SMTP Configuration - Server - SMTP Domain

#1 is the display name of the "UnityConnection" user but all settings are greyed out and uneditable.

Any ideas?

Did you figure this out, I'm also trying to change the same.

Thanks

Unfortunately this cannot be changed in Unity Connection.  Please submit a product feature enhancement request to your Cisco Account Team.  And let's see if we can get that changed!

Shane

Any updates to question 1 in a new version?

Not in the current 8.x release.  I will inquire about that functionality for the upcoming release next week when I talk to some Cisco Channels folks.

" When I recieve a message from an internal known caller it shows "From:userX@ucxn01" instead of

userX@company.com

.  So I can't reply to a Voicemail via email because it is using the the @HostnameofUnityConnection instead of the Corporate or Specified SMTP address."

Does anyone know how to do this in Cisco Unity Express 8.0.2?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Shane,

+5 for your kind follow-up here

Do you know if a bug/enhancement was ever filed against this and if

so what the ID number is?

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Rob, I am not aware of an ID number or anything.  I just know I asked about this on a conference call not terribly long ago.  It was on the list, just way down the list.  I will see what I can find out.

Thanks Shane,

Much appreciated my friend! Have a great weekend

Cheers!

Rob

arrrghhh3
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I opened a TAC on this issue, and I think we have a solution... It does require access to the CLI, and a database update.  Also, the engineer said the Conversation Manager service needed to be restarted, which is production impacting, so do this after hours...

I used these commands:

admin:run cuc dbquery unitydirdb select displayname,objectid from tbl_user where
displayname = 'Cisco Unity Connection Messaging System'

displayname                              objectid
---------------------------------------  ------------------------------------
Cisco Unity Connection Messaging System  aeb80eab-1ec0-4add-8d4f-f29396639324

Cisco Unity Connection Messaging System 

run cuc dbquery unitydirdb update tbl_user set displayname = 'unityconnection@dv10' where
displayname = 'Cisco Unity Connection Messaging System'

admin:run cuc dbquery unitydirdb update tbl_user set displayname = 'unityconnection@dv10'
where displayname = 'Cisco Unity Connection Messaging System'

Rows: 1      

Just to follow up to my own post.

This did indeed resolve the issue - I can now put whatever I want in for the displayname.  However, restarting the "Conversation Manager" on both nodes in our cluster was not enough.  Unsure of what service to restart, I simply did a cluster reboot.  All is well now!

Mark Turpin
Level 5
Level 5

If using Exchange, create a user with an email address of unityconnection@ and enter the name you would like it to appear.  For example, "Company Voicemail" as the display name.  This will then rewrite the "from" for your users without making changes to Unity Connection.

--
-Mark Turpin

I do not have Exchange access, but this is a very nice workaround - manually updating the database is never a good practice.  Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: