cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8800 Series Phone MWI - Missing the Red Box on the line

robray_sc
Level 4
Level 4

We are using the 8841 phones and according to the end user guide, we should have 3 MWI notifications: light on the handset, red box on the line, and indicator on the session keys on the right side of the phone.  I'm getting 2 out of 3...I'm missing the red box next to the line.  I see a red box inside the line screen with a 1, but i think thats just the missed calls not for voicemail.  We are using 10.5 for CM and Unity

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8811_8841_8851_8861/10_5/english/userguide/P881_BK_U42291C6_00_userguide-8811_41_51_61-10_5/P881_BK_U42291C6_00_userguide-8811_41_51_61-10_5_chapter_0101.html

Look for a solid red light on your handset.

You can set up the visual message waiting lamp using the Self Care Portal.

Look for a colored box beside the line button.

The colored background indicates that there are new voice messages and the number of missed calls and voice mail messages displays in the box.

5 Replies 5

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The red box is total notifications, regardless of type (e.g. missed call, voicemail, etc). From the guide you linked to: "The colored background indicates that there are new voice messages and the number of missed calls and voice mail messages displays in the box."

It then provides a breakdown of on the right side session buttons.

I thought so too, but when I call an extension using the *xxxx pattern for direct to voicemail, the line does not get the red box inside the line. I only get the handset light and session key indicator. 

This wouldn't be a problem on primary lines but on secondary lines folks are missing that they have voicemail. 

I was expecting the red box to look like the attached, which is from a 8945 phone

Did you ever find the correct answer?

I can only get the light to work, I never get the prompt

Is this a limit for these phones?

I have cucm 10.5.2, and I tried a couple different loads on the phone.

8800 series phones currently do not provide anything when MWI 'Prompt' is enabled for a line.    This is effectively a loss of functionality when compared to 7900, 8900 or 9900 series phones.   It is called out in bug CSCuu44261, where BU-DE says 'works at intended' which IMHO is bogus.

8800 series phones currently do not provide anything when MWI 'Prompt' is enabled for a line.    This is effectively a loss of functionality when compared to 7900, 8900 or 9900 series phones.   It is called out in bug CSCuu44261, where BU-DE says 'works at intended' which IMHO is bogus.