cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8821 Dropping Registration

SSGZeke
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased several 8821s to start replacing our aging fleet of 7925G phones.

The 7925G's work great, but unfortunately the 8821s are experiencing horrible issues.

They randomly drop registration and will not pick back up.  This happens whether or not the device is roaming or sitting right underneath the same access point.

We are running CUCM 9.1.2 and the phone firmware load is up to date, 11.0(3)SR4

I'm new to Cisco voice so I don't know where to start troubleshooting.  RTMT shows registration dropping for reason code 14

I've also seen the phone lose registration for several minutes, then randomly restart and pick registration back up, only to lose registration again.

25 Replies 25

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is the wireless using Cisco gear?

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
Is the wireless using Cisco gear?

Forgot to mention in my original post, we're running Aruba AP205's terminating to a pair of 7210 controllers.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
It was quite a while ago, but we had issues with bugs on these. I filed several bug reports. They asked for some info, and maybe 6 months later they replied to the email asking more questions. Terrible.

I work for a Cisco partner. I got the local Cisco team to assist with escalations. Despite all the effort we could not get anything to happen. I eventually gave up trying to get the bugs fixed.

I don't say this lightly - shame on you Cisco.

Adam Hinchliff
Level 1
Level 1

We have just purchased 3 8821 handsets are experiencing registration issues every 5 minutes. The 7925 model worked great on our network. 

@Adam Hinchliff wrote:

We have just purchased 3 8821 handsets are experiencing registration issues every 5 minutes. 

Was the firmware upgraded?

Hi Leo,

Yes we are running the latest firmware release.

Could you Create a new SIP profile and with the below timers and assign to the phone and see that helps,

Step 1 - In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, select Device > Device Settings > SIP Profile.
Step 2 - Click Find.
Step 3 - Click the Copy icon beside Standard SIP Profile.
Step 4 - Set the name and description to Custom 8821 SIP Profile.
Step 5 - Set these parameters.
Timer Register Delta (seconds)—Set to 30 (default is 5).
Timer Keep Alive Expires (seconds)—Set to 300 (default is 120).
Timer Subscribe Expires (seconds)—Set to 300 (default is 120).
Timer Subscribe Delta (seconds)—Set to 15 (default is 5).
Step 6 - Click Save.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Yep, followed that and it helped a little. Still getting regular re registers every 3-5 mins

Hey Adam,
When the phones drop registration, it is still connected to the WiFi?

This procedure helped me to solve the issue. Thank you! 

Hold on wait ... This dropping SIP registration, exactly how often does this happen in a day (per phone)?

Having the same issue myself. When we first got the phone we were on CUCM ver 11 (the phone on 11.0(3)Sr4) when the phone would leave the range of wireless signal it would lose registration with CUCM, but when the phone was brought back in range and it reconnected to the wireless it never re-registered with CUCM without resetting the security settings on the 8821.  

We updated to CUCM ver 11.5 and 11.0(4)SR1 for the 8821 and that seemed to resolve the re-registration issue. A week goes by with no issues but after the weekend the phone lost registration again. Resetting the security settings on the phone seems to be the only way to fix it, obviously this isn't a solution. We use a Cisco WLC and APs. We don't have this problem with the 7921 model. 

@Hughese wrote:

Having the same issue myself. When we first got the phone we were on CUCM ver 11 (the phone on 11.0(3)Sr4) when the phone would leave the range of wireless signal it would lose registration with CUCM, but when the phone was brought back in range and it reconnected to the wireless it never re-registered with CUCM without resetting the security settings on the 8821.  

Out of Range (OoR) issues are known issues with the 8821 (Example:  CSCvn81608).  There are several Bug IDs associated to them.  I suspect that when the phones are taken outside the WiFi coverage the WLAN drivers in the phones crash.  The only way to fix the phones when in this state is to reboot the phones when it is back at wireless coverage.  

Use 11.0(3)SR6 because it's more stable than 11.0(4)SR train, however, OoR is still not fixed in either version.

Power cycling the phone doesn't actually fix the problem for us, we have to reset the security settings.  I hope they develop a bug fix soon.  The last time this happened I asked the user if he had been driving around campus with the phone with him, he said no, he came into work on Monday and the phone was in it's doc station and wasn't working (he is the only user). He was well within range of a 3702i AP and I have no event log of that AP failing in anyway from Prime, so.... strange things.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: