cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8831's Registering with blank keypads

lesli.bragg1
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently received multiple 8831 conference phones that register fine and will ring when called but the keypads are blank and there is no way to answer them or use them.  We are using them PoE.  Has anyone run into this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have two of these I just went through trouble on. They came out of the box working, then updated to 9-3-3-5 which resulted in the keypad being unlit with the Cisco logo on it. Box says rev -F0, V03. Manufactured 8/2015. Presumably there was a change in hardware revision and running lower firmware causes this to happen.

I took it up to 10.3SR1 and it recovered.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the firmware on these 8831's and the cucm version? Does the issue happen when two 8831's call each other as well? You may try moving a couple of these phones to a diff switch where other phones are working fine. If the issue persists then it will require phone debugs and possibly packet captures to determine if this is a bug or some other issue.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

I have two of these I just went through trouble on. They came out of the box working, then updated to 9-3-3-5 which resulted in the keypad being unlit with the Cisco logo on it. Box says rev -F0, V03. Manufactured 8/2015. Presumably there was a change in hardware revision and running lower firmware causes this to happen.

I took it up to 10.3SR1 and it recovered.

We have the exact same issue as Frederick. 8831s won't register or upgrade/downgrade, even with different levels of firmware loaded to CM and TFTP restart, and config load ID in the device. Rev. V03, manufactured last month. I have tried all the same things as Frederick as well as Adam, but it will not go past the Revolabs screen and then just goes to dark Cisco screen. No menu options. The App option came the first boot up and we were able to confirm FW 10-1-3-16. On one phone we tried to factory reset out of the box and after reset we confirmed the same FW ver. It still did not register. Now they won't go to menu even after doing a Hard factory reset. Nothing. Time to open a case...

There is a 10.3.1(SR2) out as of 12/7. TAC is going to tell you to make sure you have it on the latest anyways, so it may be worth a try to make sure. I am on 10.3.1(SR1-1) for my units, 10-3-1-16 is behind that even.

We can't do anything with the phone at this point. It won't even try to upgrade or downgrade. I have tried with the latest 10.3.1(SR2) as well. We have a case opened with TAC.

George, I have had the same issue.

Take a look at this Field Notice: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/640/fn64071.html

This describes exactly the behaviour we are facing. To solve the issue, I just upgraded the firmware.

But to avoid the issue, before plugging another CP-8831, I´ve created the device config and in the field phone load (device > phones ), I used the word "none". This will prevent the phone to downgrade the firwmare version from 10-whatever to 9-3-3

Now, another question arises: If you have already downgraded the firmware, how to recover the phone ? In my case, to have a new firmware version into my CUCM would be real trouble due to administrative questions. Also, Since this is a SIP phone, there is no load server option listed in the device configuration.

So, I downloaded a new firmware into my desktop and forced the IP Phone to upgrade the firmware version.

Bellow, is the link that describes how to use your desk as a TFTP server and force the phone to upgrade its firwmare:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/96856/upgrade-firmware-3rd-party-tftp-server-tfpd32

Next, is the network configuration I did to allow the firwmare upgrade.

CP-8831 <-----> Switch L3 <-------> TFTP Server
                             (XML files + Firmware)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.10
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.33 192.168.0.43
!
ip dhcp pool VOICE
 network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.224
 default-router 192.168.0.1
 option 150 ip 192.168.0.44 ----> This will be the TFTP server address, your desk.
!
ip dhcp pool DATA
 network 192.168.0.32 255.255.255.224
 default-router 192.168.0.33
!
Vlan 10
Name VOICE
!
Vlan 20
name DATA
!

int vlan 10
 description #L3 for voice VLAN#
 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.224
 no shut

!
int vlan 20
 description #L3 for data VLAN#
 ip address 192.168.0.33 255.255.255.224
 no shut
!

Interface fas0/1
 description #VOICE CP-8831#
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 20
 switchport voice vlan 10
 no shut
!
Interface fas0/2
 description #TFTP-Server#
 switchport mode access
 switchport access vlan 20
 switchport voice vlan 10
 no shut

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12677126/cp-8831-booting-issue

Have exact same issue! We are running 9.1.1 and these phones will sit here with a B/W Cisco screen. They ping, register with the CUCM, and can get a brief ring from incoming calls, but the pads do not work. I have the exact same manufacture date (8/2015) revision, and version as well. 

This needs to be reported to Cisco, as we have two brand new units non-functional. Hard resets, and what not do not help. We cannot upgrade the FW as this would require global changes in the enterprise internationally. 

We are desperately searching for a V02 phone, etc as there are not many conference phone options to choose from. Its frustrating. I do realize the need for upgrading CUCM, but you would think 1 single hardware revision would be backwards compatible with the last.

You can load the firmware to the UCM TFTP, and restart the TFTP service, without changing the device defaults. Then, you can specify the jump load and subsequently the final load in the individual station's configuration to avoid changing other devices.

You will need to restart the TFTP service but this is not harmful to anything to do so.

We have V01 and V06 with this same issue on CUCM 12.5  They worked fine on 11.5 CUCM and 9-3-3-5 firmware.  Cisco said I have to incremental increase to 10-1-0 then I can bump up to the newest we have sip8831.10-3-1SR4b-1

Assume things will work fine after this.  Funny thing, the 8831 will register with 9-3-3-5 and you can call the extension you build on the 8831, but obviously cannot answer since no keypad function .... 

We have not yet restarted TFTP service, but will be soon.

Update, finally restarted TFTP and got the V06 working fine with the 9-3-3 to 10-3-1 'stepping stone' firmware.  Scared to even move it to the latest firmware (lol).

The V01 can still register and ring BUT KEYPAD WILL NOT WORK.  Even moved the working keypad from the V06 to the V01 and still won't work.

Suspect hardware revision to firmware issue ... which I have seen my fair share of this even with non-Cisco.

Have a TAC case open so maybe they can figure out the solution for the V01 .... 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: