cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8841/8851 Prime Line, auto line select, and caller ID

jhuroleye
Level 1
Level 1

Ok this is my first post to the forums.  I have done so much digging to try and resolve our current problem and have given up.  Time to reach out to the world :)   

We finally got some 8841's and 8851's to test out.  We're coming from 7942/7962.  CUCM 10.5.2.12901-1  Phone Firmware sip88xx.10-3-1-20.

Here's the problem:

On the 7942/62, if a call came in on any line, if you picked up the handset it would automatically choose the first ringing line.  If you were making a new call and picked up the handset, it would choose the prime line automatically.  On the 88xx, if you set "Always Use Prime Line", the phone no longer answers calls coming in on other lines unless you push the line button first (end users do not like this).  So you turn off that feature and turn on "Show All Calls on Primary Line" and "Revert to All Calls".  This will work, but it's not showing the Caller ID info properly.  We can see who's calling and what line it's coming in on, but it no longer shows the extension.  We can see the extension if we go into the call history, but our end users want to see the extension as the call is coming in along with the name.  I can't figure out where the setting would be that determines what's displayed when the Show All Calls on Primary Line is enabled.  

The other issue we've had is when all those features are turned off and a call comes in on a line that isn't selected, some phones will display an incoming call pop up and others won't.  What is that feature called?  The "Actionable Incoming Call Alert" only seems to apply to the prime line.  The phones are set with Call notifications being All calls (line filter). Do not Disturb is not enabled. 
**UPDATE** The pop up works for all other lines EXCEPT line 2..... lol I have no idea what I did... I've tried rebooting the phone and deleting the extension from the phone and adding it again... neither fixed it.

I've done so much digging on different things that I've basically lost myself on what exactly needs fixed and what exactly I've changed.  At the moment, what I need working is either the Incoming call pop-up to show again on the phones or the Caller ID to show the extension when using the "Show All Calls on Primary Line"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jhuroleye
Level 1
Level 1

Sooooo.. just found out they released a new device package for these phones... has an option called "Line Mode"... change this to enhanced and the controls become similar to the 79xx phones.. picking up handset answers any line ringing.  caller ID shows up properly.. also, phone becomes a 10 line phone vs a 5 line phone.. just need to have the actionable call alert enabled for all calls. 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Deepak Mehta
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As per my testing , Incoming pop up alert comes when busy trigger is set to 1 and there is another call for the same line.

Example ( Line 1) is set to busy trigger 1  and you are forwarding the line 1 to line 2 on busy no answer.So when a user is already one on call on line 1 and there is another call for this line ,then you will see a pop up with call info.

So if set the busy trigger correctly ,you should see the pop up.thanks

Yeah we have the busy trigger set at 1 already.  I should explain how the lines are layed out:

Line 1 - Personal Extension
Line 2 - Office Line 1 (15610)
Line 3 - Office Line 2 (15611)
Line 4 - Office Line 3 (15612)
Line 5 - Office Line 4 (15613)

Line 1 is the end users personal extension.  Lines 2-5 are office roll over lines.  Say a patient calls the office, they are received by the System Call Handler.  They press a button for scheduling which then transfers them to the Office Line 1.  This line is the one that isn't showing a pop up. If 15610 is in use, the call will roll to 15611 and shows a pop up properly.  If i call any of those extensions directly, 15610 is the only one that doesn't show a pop up.   

So if I understand what you're saying, end users won't ever see a pop up on that 15610 unless they have that line selected?

Can you send the screenshot of what you see on the office line 1 when call comes in instead of pop up.thanks

Line button turns amber and the symbol changes to the incoming call symbol.  

This is what the other lines look like when I call them (ignore the symbol, a coworker answered the line right when I took the picture so it was transitioning to the "in use" symbol)

And this is what it looks like when I have "Show All Calls on Primary Line" enabled.  This would work for us if we could figure out how to make it show the extension that's calling.

You can configure the display caller id as Terry sheets-XXXX in the phone config of calling user. I have seen many customers  following this approach.

Second, if you using system call handler from unity then you can set  this Service parameter on CUCM "Display Original Calling Number on Transfer from Cisco Unity" to true.

This is to get around the problem of extension not showing.

Thanks

i would love to do that but we have over 1500 devices that would need modified.. all with multiple lines on them.. plus 95% of them are 7942/62 which display properly.  i'm not sure if it would be feasible to modify all of them. 

as for the unity transfer, i have this option enabled already. if this option is disabled, it says the call is coming from "Voicemail".  So i know it's enabled and the caller ID displays properly when i use the pop up notification (see img_6330.jpg below).  but when i enable the Show All Calls on Primary Line, it drops the extension for some reason (see img_6331.jpg above).  The issue is getting the pop up to show for 15610 (see img_6328.jpg below).  the pop up works for all the other lines except this one.

So i'm stuck.  

Thanks,perhaps other experts can help . I am curious, probably it will a good learning for us.

Is it SIP or SCCP integration for unity?

we run both.  the 7942/62 run sccp.  as for the 88xx phones, as far as i'm aware, sip is the only option for these.  

jhuroleye
Level 1
Level 1

i'm curious how everyone else sets their phones up.  whats best practice?  should I lay the phones out differently?  we have a lot of doctor offices our health system buys and we frequently move them to the cisco phone system.. they usually come from an old  nortel system so they're used to seeing individual lines and only being able to have one call per line.  hence the reason we have "office roll over lines".  that and so they can designate people to be responsible for each line.  Ie. Front desk is responsible for all lines, nurses line 3, and all other staff line 4.  the back office staff needs to be able to see when the front desk people are tied up on lines 1 & 2.    

jhuroleye
Level 1
Level 1

For any future viewers of this thread, here's the settings i'm currently trying with end users.. mixed reviews but for the most part, they like it:

Always Use Prime Line – On
Show All Calls on Primary Line – Enabled
Revert to All Calls – Enabled
Show Call History for Selected Line Only. – Enabled
Actionable Incoming Call Alert – Show for all Incoming Call

Using the actionable alert shows the caller ID they want, but some become annoyed with having to wait for the call to be answered before they can use their phone again.. 

I am really new in Collab. Where can I see these settings?

jhuroleye
Level 1
Level 1

Sooooo.. just found out they released a new device package for these phones... has an option called "Line Mode"... change this to enhanced and the controls become similar to the 79xx phones.. picking up handset answers any line ringing.  caller ID shows up properly.. also, phone becomes a 10 line phone vs a 5 line phone.. just need to have the actionable call alert enabled for all calls. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: