cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8841 Phone re-registering

Warren Swingle
Level 1
Level 1

We have a set of new 8841 phones that re-register when going off-hook/on-hook.  I've got a TAC case open, however we have not found a cause.  Thought I'd post here to see if anyone as seen this behavior from these phones.  CM is version 10.5 running on ESXi host.  We have other 7962 phones on the cluster that have been working fine for years.  Below is a breakdown of the troubleshooting we can tried so far. Any help would be appr

The attached word document has a video to show the behavior.

1. Moved the phone to a different switch, no effect. 
2. Attached direct into the switch, bypassing the house network cabling. no effect. 
3. Upgraded the phone firmware per Cisco TAC recommendation. no effect. 
4. Issue occurs when the phone is registered with the publisher or subscriber. 
5. Removed most of the typical references in the phone config, no effect. 
6. Upgraded the 2960X network switch software to version 15.0-2a.EX5 per TAC request 
7. Disabled jumbo frames on all network switches. 
8. Move 8841 to a different CM cluster, problem does not occur.
9. Move known working phone to this call manager, the problem occurs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Can you use a port span from the switch to get packet capture from the phone? At the same time try to get capture from CUCM which phone is registered.

Also, can you share the trace from CUCM with phone MAC address.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Warren,

You basically have covered everything as far as issue isolation and configuration checks are concerned. I have seen a similar issue once when the Transport Type under Device Security Profile applied on the phone was set to use TCP. The issue was resolved by setting it to UDP. You may try it on a test phone and see if it behaves any differently.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

I wish I could try this (home MRA use) but in our Expressway the transport type is hard coded to TCP. I changed the phone device security profile to UDP only and was wondering why my phone would not register.

Tirtha Tripathy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Warren,

Manish's suspecting the issue is very much acceptable.

Change the protocol from TCP to UDP with his below mentioned changes and test.

Take Packet captures and check for TCP re-transmissions - just look for black packets

Also test by connecting the phone to the switch nearest to the CM. This will help you isolate if this is a phone issue or network related issue and you can troubleshoot accordingly.

(Rate the helpful posts)

Regards,

Tirtha

Regards, Tirtha

Hi! Waren andThank's very much for your Post.

I was facing the same issue on my collaboration platform and after changing transport port type of the Device security profile from TCP+UDP To UDP make the phone register.

Below the issue I was facing

I connected a New 2960X switch on my infrastructure and all the new 8845 ip phone  connected to it was not registering while the older phone was registering successfully.

Rgds

Hi,

Can you use a port span from the switch to get packet capture from the phone? At the same time try to get capture from CUCM which phone is registered.

Also, can you share the trace from CUCM with phone MAC address.

Mohammed al Baqari, I am a novice when it comes to the CUCM environment. Whats the best method for doing a packet capture on the CUCM? 

Jeffrey Kyle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Warren,

I have been having the exact same issue as you are with the 8800 series of phones.

We have narrowed the issue down to a QOS issue with the command service-policy input.

How does the QOS look on your switch?

-Jeff

I found that some of the switch ports had the Cisco soft phone auto qos template applied to the port. This template was apparently dropping SIP packets.  Changed it to template to Cisco phone resolved the issue.

I found the exact same thing, in my tests if you take the phone on and off hook you can use up around 200kbps of bandwidth. This is due to the call history and all of the subscribe messages that are sent out to allow for the presence indicators on the phone. If you clear out the call history the bandwidth utilization goes down to what the other Cisco phones produce.

The difference between the softphone policy and the cisco ip phone qos is that the softphone policy policer drops excess traffic where the ip phone policy policer just marks that extra traffic down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: