Views
Helpful
Replies

8851 and 8861 (SIP) freeze occasionally

infosys02
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone have been experiencing some freezing issues with 88XX phones? 

We first received the phones with the firwamre sip88xx.10-2-1-16 but since the phone was looping through reboots when connected to 2x or 3x 8800 modules, we upgraded to sip88xx.10-2-2-16. Since then, the phones freezes completely from time to time and needs to be disconnected. 

When frozen (which often happens when the calls are transferred to another extensions), there is nothing we can do at all on the phones.

There is no newer firmware  so I'm pretty much stuck here.

I'll have to try our other BNIB 8851 but at least one 8861 and one 8851 have the exact same behavior.

Thanks!

72 Replies 72

We just cut-over a large school district in Los Angeles and are beginning to see the freezes, at the 2-week runtime mark.  8845s for now, just locking up.

8845 keysets, no bekem, hardwired, sip8845_65.11-5-1-18 load

cucm 11.5(1) (HCS)

Rebooting fixes the lockup, but only for a few minutes.  I'm opening an emergency TAC case now, will post details.

All of the execs have these phones.... and they are yelling.  This is going to kill our company.  I can't believe that after 2 years this issue is still here.

I've been running the 8851 phones.  Having noticed the phones locking up intermittently.   Phones are utilizing latest firmware;  SipXX.11-7-1-17

My workaround has been resetting phones to clear memory on phones.  

Mine is 8841 which freeze almost everyday the firmware running is 

sip88xx.11-5-1-18  which is recently updated, since then i suspect the issue occured . Anyone have any permanent fix to suggest on this issue.

Also i can see the inactive load file is sip88xx.11-0-1-11 can i switch it only on the device which is having the issue , right now i suspect this is the only one phone which is having the issue.

If i add the inactive load file on the phone page will the phone in anyway take the load file .

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Shinaj cm

We are also experiencing the freezing issue.  We see it manifest after the 30 day mark.  No rhyme or reason why

Phone type: 8841

Registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 10.11.215.61

firmware Active Load ID: sip88xx.11-7-1-17

Besides rebooting the phones has anyone figured out a resolution to this?

Hi Solean,

Can I ask what version were you moving from where you were seeing the freezing issue? We upgraded to the latest available version on the 8865 fleet, and have started seeing Freezing return on sip8845_65.11-7-1-17. The latest report this morning has a time stamp on the phone from Friday night, and only unplugging returns the phone to being functional again.

we were given a ES that seems to have solved the issue

sip8845_65.11-7-1ES-8

Hello Pam,

How long have you been on this firmware? We typically don't see this issue occur until after the 34 day mark.

We currently are testing Phone Configuration sip88xx.11-7-1ES-5

but have sip88xx.11-7-1-17 pushed out widespread.

We applied it on June 13th and have not have any issues.

Before we applied the patch we had a scheduled task to reboot the phones each week. I think the root issue is a memory link so rebooting the phones would keep the memory clear so they would not freeze up, Once we applied the ES we removed the reboot task

so far so good.

great news, thanks!  Going to check with Cisco and see what we can do.  Keep us in the loop if you see any changes better or worse!

Is the ES available in the dowloads section of cisco?

Hello I am having same issues and wondered where you got the ES file from?

We also have sip88xx.11-7-1-17 firmware and some 8851 phones freeze at random times.  None of the buttons work, no dial tone, and when someone calls the phone, you can hear the ringer but can't answer since none of the buttons (including the hook switch) work.  Only fix is to unplug the network cable and plug it back in (power cycle).

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello infosys02,

If you are using usb headsets, you may be hitting Bug CSCuq55637, which does affect 10.2(1) with no fixed release.

phone crash with unsupported USB headset
CSCuq55637

Symptom:
The headset itself is discovered properly but after pressing 'New Call' button the phone will crash after some time.

Hope this helps,
Please rate helpful posts.
Thanks.

Just a little update - the headset is a Plantronics CS 540 plugged in with an APC-42 cable.