cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851 phone not upgrading firmware

svadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I just ordered a new ip phone cisco 8851 and I am testing it to see if can replace the 7965 with these, but I already have a problem that it is not upgrading.  I made sure the active load is on all the servers in the cluster.

Can anyone help with this issue ?

Registration: Registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager xx.xx.xx.xx
IPv4 Address: xx.xx.xx.xx
Active Load ID: sip88xx.12-0-1-11
Inactive Load ID: cert.os.mfg.drop
Download Status: Failed
Requested Load ID: sip88xx.10-3-1-20
Download Server: xx.xx.xx.xx
Inactive Load Failure Reason Internal Phone Error

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a downgrade and not upgrade.

In cases where a new Devices have pre-loaded a newer firmware version, than the one that CUCM runs on, the CUCM requests the phone to downgrade but this is not supported.
You may need to set as a default firmware version on the CUCM, a newer version of firmware for this speficic phone.

G

please rate, if useful

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

View solution in original post

Hello svadmin,

If the 8851 phone came from factory with a firmware version 12, downgrading to firmware 10.3 might not be possible.

Some phone hardware revisions require certain minimum firmware versions. Minimum versions are usually found in a sticker at the back of the phone.

And why would you want to downgrade to 10.3 anyway? That's an old buggy version and you should ideally be running a version 12 firmware for all your 88XX phones.

Best Regards, Jaime.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you Restarted the TFTP Service on the CUCM Cluster?

You may check the following Procedure:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/213288-upgrade-ip-phone-firmware-individually.html

G
Please rate, if useful

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Yes I already tried that and still didn't work.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like a downgrade and not upgrade.

In cases where a new Devices have pre-loaded a newer firmware version, than the one that CUCM runs on, the CUCM requests the phone to downgrade but this is not supported.
You may need to set as a default firmware version on the CUCM, a newer version of firmware for this speficic phone.

G

please rate, if useful

Exactly. The hardware revision changes over the course of manufacturing as chips/component sources change. This requires a minimum software version - the one that it ships with - to support those hardware differences. You have to go newer, the latest release is 12.(1)SR1.

Hello svadmin,

If the 8851 phone came from factory with a firmware version 12, downgrading to firmware 10.3 might not be possible.

Some phone hardware revisions require certain minimum firmware versions. Minimum versions are usually found in a sticker at the back of the phone.

And why would you want to downgrade to 10.3 anyway? That's an old buggy version and you should ideally be running a version 12 firmware for all your 88XX phones.

Best Regards, Jaime.

What I am really trying to do is set up a phone for MRA.  I have Jabber working, but somehow the phones are not.  I found this document that guide through the process https://ciscocollab.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/collab-edge-mra-for-78008800dx-series-endpoints/

However it stated that I would need public root CA certificate, but I don't have that and not sure where to get it from, any idea if I do need that and how to get it?

H

The Expressway-E certificate must be signed by a public CA present in phone's built-in trust: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/dx/series/ca/CA-Trust-List.docx

Thank you Johnathan, for the information.   So I checked our expressway E and we do have the CA, so not sure why the MRA from the 8851 is not working.  any idea?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: