cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851 phones in partial registered state

Robert Rhodes
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has seen increasing number of 8851 phones running firmware sip88xx.11-5-1-18 go into "partial registered" state. Reset/restart phone will cause it to fully register. Problem appears to be resolved in sip88xx.11-5-1SR1-1 and in sip88xx.11-7-1-17 firmware. I did not find a bug about partial registered state, but could easily have overlooked something. Plan of action for this customer is to upgrade to newer firmware, but that involves close to 2000 endpoints. 11-7 firmware also has some changes to display UI, which always causes anxiety for some users. CUCM version is 11.5.1.12900-21.

8 Replies 8

snicklas
Level 4
Level 4

I had this issue also with an 8851 running sip88xx.11-7-1-17.  In the CM, the custom phone button template was setup for 5 lines and 5 DN's were configured for the phone.  But when looking at the phone itself, I could see the Bluetooth line was on line 2, so there was only room for 4 lines (in Standard line mode).  Once I disassociated the 5th DN from the phone, the phone was able to fully register.

I've faced the same issue CUCM 11.5, 8851 phone running sip88xx.12-0-1SR1-1.

When the Extension Mobility profile has >5 Lines configured the 8851 shows Partial Registered, this is only when the BEKEM-36 Expansion Module is not connected to the Phone.

talmand
Level 1
Level 1
I have this issue, but solution is not working, my PBT and line associations are correct

Posting this answer to an outdated problem since I didn't see it in the answer list:

As others have stated elsewhere, this usually happens if you have added a line and that line is not registering. This can be corrected by updating the phone button template, but you may also have to change the line mode from session to enhanced. Enhanced allows for use of addition phone buttons. In my case, an 8841 set as a 5DN template with 5 DNs. Ran into the issue when adding a 6th DN. I changed the template to an 8 button with 2 SDs but phone showed partially registered. I changed line mode to enhanced, all six DNs showed on the phone and the issue was corrected.

That worked for me as well

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

We're seeing the exact same thing on Firmware version sip88xx.12-5-1SR1-4 (CUCM 11.5 SU5). This particular user has 7 lines and a bunch of speed dials on a BEKEM Expansion Module. It shows partial registration until we select enhanced line mode. 

Is this working as designed? I feel like it may be painful to have to switch users who have 6 or more lines to enhanced mode. I'd assumed the lines in excess of 5 would simply bump up onto their expansion modules. 

Changing to enhanced mode allows for the phone display to show all the lines. If you don't do this, the lines should still work, but the display won't be correct on the phone and the phone will still show as partially registered. You might be able to do a bulk update if you have a ton of phones but I'm not sure the exact place you would do that (using the bulk administration tool). One suggestion would be to determine the phones that need updated and supercopy the working phone. Then you only have a little configuration to do on other phones rather than having to update them all one by one. It would depend on exactly what needs done to each phone. Hope this helps. 

We had the same problem with 88xx series phones. Our remote phones connecting via Cisco Express gateway would show as partial registered.

I followed this advice to put the lines in enhanced mode and this solved my issue.

This option is under the phone settings, open whatever phone is partially registered and go all the way to the bottom of the parameters and find:

Line Mode*

and change it to:   Enhanced Line Mode

Then reset the phone, the phone will register properly ( the phones that were having issues were 88xx series SIP phones).