cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851 will not auto line select when answering calls

Michael Cox
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with new 8851 phones that are not auto selecting the ringing line when it is any other DN than the primary line.  I've read that this feature is default on the 8800 series where as older models had the Auto Call Select option.  I have tried a factory reset and they are running firmware sip88xx.10-2-2-16.  I have not found any related bugs nor others having this issue. CUCM version 8.6.2  Any suggestions?  Guess my next step will be to upgrade firmware but I have a 8861 myself that is running the same firmware and does function properly.  

Thanks for any input.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

On the phone configuration page, you can check the "Always Use Prime Line" setting. This parameter specifies whether the primary line on an IP phone will be selected, if available, when the user goes off-hook. If this parameter is set to True, when a phone goes off-hook, the primary line gets chosen and becomes the active line. Even if a call is ringing on the user's second line, going off-hook makes only the first line active; it does not answer the ringing call on the second line. In this case, the user must choose the second line to answer the call. If this parameter is set to False, the IP phone automatically chooses an available line as the active line.

Manish

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

On the phone configuration page, you can check the "Always Use Prime Line" setting. This parameter specifies whether the primary line on an IP phone will be selected, if available, when the user goes off-hook. If this parameter is set to True, when a phone goes off-hook, the primary line gets chosen and becomes the active line. Even if a call is ringing on the user's second line, going off-hook makes only the first line active; it does not answer the ringing call on the second line. In this case, the user must choose the second line to answer the call. If this parameter is set to False, the IP phone automatically chooses an available line as the active line.

Manish

Thanks for the reply Manish.  That did end up being partially the culprit.  It was set to default, the same as on my system but their system or enterprise parameter must be set differently because we moved their setting to Off and it began functioning as expected.  Thank you!

Hi Manish,

Is there a way to make the 8800 series phones behave like the 7900 series? i.e. when a call comes in on any line picking up the handset will answer the call AND all calls are made from the primary line?

I know the Show All Calls on Primary Line setting will do this in a way but with that option selected full Calling Party information is not shown(only the name is shown, not calling number) on any line other than the primary line.

Thanks

Yeah, this is a really clunky way of handling 2-line phones. You have to choose between making the user push two buttons (the 2nd line, then a soft button to answer the call) in order to answer a call or making the user select their main line prior to placing calls if you choose "Off' for Always Use Prime.

Neither of these solutions are ideal.

Do you have a resolution for this setting no working with a Side Car? I have verified this with my Tier 3 tech and still not working.

Joshua Fontenot
Level 1
Level 1

I changed this setting global under the UCM Call Manager Service Parameter to On and it did nothing to resolve this issue for me.  I also restarted all 8800 phones.

I am running UCM 11.5.1SU2 phones are running 11-7-1-17.  Any get this resolved or opened a case with TAC?

I worked on this some more and setting this parameter does seem to resolve this issue however there is an scenario where it does not.

1. Incoming call comes inbound on Line 2 and answered.

2. Attempt to place a call after ending previous call begins by pressing the keypad numbers immediately pulls up Line 2.

3. However if you first go off hook with handset or speaker phone it pulls up the primary Line 1 as expected.

I'm on CUCM 9.1.2 with phones running 11-5-1-18 and must push the primary line button to select it after handling a call on the 2nd line. Going off hook with the handset or speaker does not have any effect.

Just noticed this thread since I am seeing the same problem. i.e. if you dial whilst 'on-hook' the phone automatically selects the last line used, even if you have enabled 'show all calls on primary line'. Am running CUCM 11.5 and 8865 phones with Firmware Version 12-1-1-12. 

Any one found a fix for this issue?

Vince DeMuth
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a resolution for this setting no working with a Side Car?