Views
Helpful
Replies

8865 Key Expansion Module not powering up

PT18
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are trying to setup an 8865 phone with 8865 KEM (dual screen, 14 buttons, 2 pages), however, the module does not seem to be coming up. At one stage, we received an alert stating "Accessory Added: The phone is not setup for the expansion module" however, there seems to be no backlight or any activity on the expansion module.

Phone has been setup with KEM and phone button template (10 lines + 28 BLF) in CUCM, running 12.0.1-SR1 firmware on CUCM 10.5.2. Switch is 2960X and hence is capable of 802.3at (PoE+).

Total drawn Inline power on port is 14.7 watts irrespective of having KEM connected to phone.

Is there anything else I could check? Is there anyway to check whether expansion module is receiving power? I'd assume it receives power from side USB port on phone which, by the way, is also enabled on CUCM under product specific configuration.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

25 Replies 25

What kind of switch are you using? Cisco or another vendor? I ask because some non-Cisco switches do not support the LLDP negotiation for powering Phone+KEM.

They said they are using a 2960X so yeah, it is a Cisco switch.

Do you have the module enable on the phone page ? What is the status of the phone ? Does it show as Registered or Partial Registered ?

And he said he had the module added on the phone configuration page and a phone button template to cover the KEM.

If you remove the KEM, does the base phone power up and register?

Thanks guys, it's Cisco 2960X switch, KEM is added to the phone config and phone is fully registered to CUCM and can make/receive calls.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I would need to see the phone logs. Following the instructions below -

You need to enable SSH on the phone. SSH into the IP of the phone. Use "debug" as the credential to drop into debug shell. The shell would look like -

debug>

Enable the following -

settmask -p pwrman -t 0xFFFFF -b LOG_DEBUG
settmask -p dman -t 0xFFFFF -b LOG_DEBUG
settmask -p cdp -t 0xFFFFF -b LOG_DEBUG

Power off the phone and power it on again. Wait for the phone to power up and register. Do a "sdump" in the debug shell and copy the logs into a text file. Share the text file please.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Apparently, the KEM status was always shown disconnected in DEBUG mode. And it appears that the only KEM option we're getting on CUCM phone config page was 36-button module whereas the correct module should be 28 button module. So since the phone's configured with 36-button module, it wouldn't recognise 28 button module and hence complains that it's not configured.

TAC have confirmed that this issue relates to the defect documented in CSCvd77762

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvd77762/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

According to TAC, installing device pack 10.5(2)(16134-1) or later will resolve this.

Thanks again.

Hello,

i saw your post and seems that we have same issue with 8851 for audio 28 button module as it is not coming up and phone accessories showing disabled by admin.

please suggest how can resolve this as we are running cucm 11.5.x and 8851 is having 11.7 firmware..

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Grab the same set of logs from the phone and share the logs with me.

Hello nipun,

Please tell me what logs do u need from IP phone 8851?

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Following the instructions below -

You need to enable SSH on the phone. SSH into the IP of the phone. Use "debug" as the credential to drop into debug shell. The shell would look like -

debug>

Enable the following -

settmask -p pwrman -t 0xFFFFF -b LOG_DEBUG
settmask -p dman -t 0xFFFFF -b LOG_DEBUG
settmask -p cdp -t 0xFFFFF -b LOG_DEBUG

Power off the phone and power it on again. Wait for the phone to power up and register. Do a "sdump" in the debug shell and copy the logs into a text file. Share the text file please.

PT18
Level 1
Level 1

We had the issue resolved by installing the latest device pack for CUCM 10.5.2.

Thanks but I am running cucm 11.5

Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

It is working fine after upgrading to latest version..
sip88xx.12-1-1SR1-4
now can see modules owring with main device..
Warm Regard's
Amit Sahrma

Hi we had the firmware upgrade last wekend en have the same problem.

It si phone 8851 with extension module en power injector.

Give same problem

With firmware cterm-sip88-11-7-11 works fine.

We dit some test with lates switches with inline power en er whas no problem.

Only with power inject in when wrong.

Regards

Jan Meeling

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: