Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8941 IP Phone no working properly and loading firmware

Hi,

I have configured up an 8941 IP phone into our CM version 7.1.5

It appears registered in CM, but it is running the original firmware load and has not downloaded and installed the latest load 9.2.2.0 onto the phone. It can also make internal calls but cannot make external calls. I am thinking that something may need to still be configured.It appears to have no extension mobility on the phone too, I have checked documentation and where it says there should be an option there is not.

Any ideas on this one?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

It appears registered in CM, but it is running the original firmware load and has not downloaded and installed the latest load 9.2.2.0 onto the phone.

Have you installed the latest firmware onto all your TFTP servers ? (Either via a devicepack or manually installing the firmware pack)

Does Device->Device Settings->Device Defaults show the correct firmware version ?

Have you restarted all your TFTP servers since doing the above ?

What do the logs on the phone say ?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What original firmware version your 8941 phone has ? Perhaps, direct upgrade from present firmware version to 9.2.2.0 is not possible ( can be confirmed from firmware 9.2.2.0's release notes ).

About unable to make external calls ( i presume you meant PSTN calls ), check if you have the right CSS config for that phone. Just compare it with other phone capable of making PSTN calls in the same device pool.

About unable to avail Extension Mobility ( EM ), check if the phone is registered to that service. Add service to that phone page.

Lemme know if you need further assistance. Please rate the post if it helps.

GP.

What original firmware version your 8941 phone has ? Perhaps, direct upgrade from present firmware version to 9.2.2.0 is not possible

The 8941's are fairly new, so they don't have the firmware signing problem that affects the 79xx phones.

GTG

Hi Gajanan,

Firmware load on the phone is 9-1-1-01-42, Phone is in the right CSS which is weird, I believe all of these issues are linked together. Its got me stumped as I have followed the directions to the T in the release notes, nothing has jumped out at me as to what has gone wrong!

Cheers

Dwayne,

About not downloading the 9.2.2 firmware, please be aware of following important note provided in 9.2.2 release notes

If you are upgrading the Cisco Unified IP Phones 8941 and 8945 from Release 9.1(2) to Release 9.2(2), be sure to connect a power supply to the phone. Otherwise, the phone could fail to boot up during power loss due to

CSCtn62843. No such limitation exists if you are upgrading to Release 9.2(2) from Release 9.1(2)SR1 and later.

Hope it helps ?

GP.

Pls rate helpful posts !!

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

It appears registered in CM, but it is running the original firmware load and has not downloaded and installed the latest load 9.2.2.0 onto the phone.

Have you installed the latest firmware onto all your TFTP servers ? (Either via a devicepack or manually installing the firmware pack)

Does Device->Device Settings->Device Defaults show the correct firmware version ?

Have you restarted all your TFTP servers since doing the above ?

What do the logs on the phone say ?

GTG

Hi Gordon,

Device defaults shows the loaded firmware version 9.2.2.0, on the phone the version is the one it came with 9.1.1.01-42

I have restarted TFTP servers, on the pub and sub. And just re-added it.

Where can I check the phone logs? Through the ip address in IE?

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9
It appears to have no extension mobility on the phone too, I have checked documentation and where it says there should be an option there is not.

Is it listed as a subscribed service in Device->Subscribe/Unsubscribe Services ?

What are your settings for Device -> Services Provisioning ? If it says "Default", what does it say in Device->Device Settings->Common Phone Profile Configuration and System->Enterprise Parameters ?

GTG

Thanks Gordon, I havent had time to look at this phone so it was put on the back burner.

So EM issue is resolved, checked the tick box to enable extension mobility in the phone properties :-)

Phone firmware is resolved (Thanks) Installed firmware on the Subscriber, restarted TFTP and presto it downloaded and installed the latest firmware.

Only issue left is the phone wont dial out, I can dial internal numbers but no external numbers. Currently looking into this one, all settings look good, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi Dwayne

Check the CSS (Calling Search Spaces) assigned at the device and line level on the phone. For an EM phone, these woudl typically be configured to permit only internal and emergency dialling - so compare this phone to any other 'working' one (the model of the phone shouldn't matter).

Also, when you log in with EM, the 'line' from the logging-in user's 'device profile' replaces that of the phone, so check the line CSS on the device profile against working phones.

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Should have mentioned, yeah I have checked the CSS at the device and line level, along with the EM login profile. All are setup correctly and setup the same way as other devices and login profiles.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne

Stab in the dark, but if your external calls are going out over an ISDN PRI, make sure you have "bearer-cap speech" on the voice port associated with the PRI.

Video enabled endpoints can try and negotiate video over ISDN which will be rejected by your carrier.

HTH. Barry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: