Views
Helpful
Replies

8945's... typically SCCP, but now SIP?

mikearama
Level 1
Level 1

Techies.

I'm somewhat baffled at the behaviour of my last batch of 8945's.  We have about 1500 in play, all using SCCP.  A mix of manual- and auto-registration used.

Today I plugged in 5 new 8945's that I had already manually configured... users, vm's, phones with mac's, DN's, using SCCP.  All 5 just sat and spun.

I deleted the phones to allow auto-reg a kick at the cat... and voila, all 5 reg'd, but with SIP as their protocol.  I have never changed the default protocol for auto-reg from SCCP... but I checked to make sure - still SCCP.

Make no mistake, not a biggie... but intriguing.  I'm eager to learn if I missed something, or if cisco has decided that 8945's going forward are SIP-only phones.  The data-sheet on them still says dual-protocol support.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

If the auto reg protocol is set to SCCP then the phones should request for SCCP load on startup. You can check if there is any load defined under the 'Phone Load Name' field on the device configuration page on cucm, as it will take precedence over the default load and protocol defined under device defaults and enterprise parameters. A restart of ccm service followed by a fresh registration attempt can be done to see if the behavior persists.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Brandon Pierce
Level 4
Level 4

Firmware is still supported for both.  Did you every try to roll it back to SCCP?  This is strange unless they registered to a different cluster (if you have such)... 

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

If the auto reg protocol is set to SCCP then the phones should request for SCCP load on startup. You can check if there is any load defined under the 'Phone Load Name' field on the device configuration page on cucm, as it will take precedence over the default load and protocol defined under device defaults and enterprise parameters. A restart of ccm service followed by a fresh registration attempt can be done to see if the behavior persists.

HTH

Manish

mikearama
Level 1
Level 1

There was no load defined for the device... so I checked the load configured in Device Defaults.  Sure enough, "someone" had typo'd the name of the SCCP load name for my 8945's.  No wonder they wouldn't load/register.

My mind was in a dozen different places searching for ideas... your pointers back to the basics were key.