cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8961 Sip Phone CUCM 8.5 fast ringing

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

We were given an 8961 SIP phone to play with.  Every other phone on the CM is a 79XX flavor, so the issues we have with the 8961 are unique, and difficuly to repeat because we have no other to attempt this with.

Pretty vanilla CM configuration at this point, single line appearance + a couple of speed dials.  No applications.  Nothing fancy.

Strangest issue is the ringing.  If I preview the selected ringtone from preferences on the phone it plays the full 2 second ring.  Once i set the ring, and receive a call, the ringtone is sped-up and plays itself twice within the alotted 2 second interval. 

i.e.:  if the "ARE YOU THERE?" ring is selected, when a call comes in it sounds like "Are you there Are you there" sped up to fit the same time interval.

I have no idea where to look to even begin troubleshooting this.

Phone Load is sip8961.9-1-1SR1

Everything else seems to work fine at this point.  this is more an annoyance than anything else, but something i'd like to know how to correct if faced during an install.

Thanks

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

Any chance you are seeing/hearing this behaviour

Our off-net calls are set to this double-ring cadence.

*Distinctive ring for on- and off-net status this is a "distinctive cadence" based on the gateway setting. It is enabled by default. On the gateway configuration page you set the gateway as On-net or Off-net.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

Any chance you are seeing/hearing this behaviour

Our off-net calls are set to this double-ring cadence.

*Distinctive ring for on- and off-net status this is a "distinctive cadence" based on the gateway setting. It is enabled by default. On the gateway configuration page you set the gateway as On-net or Off-net.

Cheers!

Rob

That's pretty much what i've got.  Since we integrate via a PRI off an old EON system, all calls from the restof the office are seen as "Off-Net" except for the 79XX which are all in the same office and rarely call eachother. 

I didn't even know that was a configurable option.  It's odd because it only affects this one SIP phone and not any of the 79XX variety.  I have looked through the Gateway configuration settings, the line settings, the phone specific settings and can not find the specific location to disable this option.  I have seen notes about "network locale" dictating call cadence, but i'm still at a loss. 

Thanks for the quick response,Rob.  At least I know it's not a 'problem'

@Rob Huffman I realize this is an old thread, but we are hitting this same issue.  We have a police department that is complaining about this because the (1) the phones are constantly ringing (2) it interferes with the dispatchers radio and (3) supervisors are thinking folks are ignoring the phone.  Setting the sip trunk to be on net might solve one problem, but it creates others as far as call forwarding policies, etc.  Is there a service parameter somewhere to change this "default" behavior for the double ring from off net?  Honestly, that's a stupid behavior that should not be on by default IMHO.  

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

You are most welcome my friend

In CUCM on the Gateway config page look for Call Classification > this is

where you mark it as ON-net/OFF-net and control the Distinctive ring cadence.

Cheers!

Rob

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

Aaah, it's on the PRI itself, not just on the Gateway Config page.  Gateway > PRI Interface > Call Classification.

Thank you, again, Rob.

Nice work Matt!

You don't need your phone asking "Are you there-Are you there" in

quick succession. It may induce a crazy "Cisco" migraine

Cheers!

Rob

agreed. 

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Matt,

Like the new Logo/Avatar !!