cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

911 works sporadically

techie2008_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have 15 sites that have 911 run through CUCM 7.1.2.  Monthly we have the sites dial 911 to do a test call.  Last month 5 sites did not work.  I looked through the settings and I couldn't find anything that looked out of place.  We had the sites retest this morning.  We had 5 more sites that did not work.  However, only two of them were the same sites.  Also, one site worked but only after trying for a third time.  It didn't work at one of the High schools in an actual emergency last month, so it is a really important issue.  Any help would be aprreciated. 

Notes

-Yes I do have "Urgent Priority" checked on all lines.

-No, we do not use Emergency Responder.

-We have the number that it dials out on programmed so that if it can be called back by dispatch and it goes to the secretary's phone.  All call back numbers but one worked correctly when called.

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Adam Thompson
Level 4
Level 4

When making the 911 calls that failed, what was the end result? busy signal (fast/slow), recording, continued ringing? Is it only the call back that fails, or is it the call out to 911?

Are you able to debug the gateways that the 911 calls are being made through? This would tell you if there is an issue on the Telco side, or if there is something within CUCM or the gateway.

HTH

Adam

In the case of the first problem, they were calling out to 911 to test the line.  When they called 911, they got a busy signal.  When we called back, all of the lines recieved the call back but one.

I have never debugged the gateways before.  What is the procedure for doing that?  

I would start with 'debug isdn q931' on the gateway that the 911 call is supposed to be going out. This will tell you what information is being sent to Telco for outbound calls, and coming in from then on inbound calls.

HTH

Adam

So what is the procedure for debugging that gateway?  I looked through CUCM and I didn't find where I would do that.  Thanks

You have to telnet into the router and issue the debug commands. Don't forget to issue the 'terminial monitor' command, or you won't see any output.

This may be of help:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_IOS_Voice_Troubleshooting_and_Monitoring_Guide

HTH

Adam

julio
Level 1
Level 1

Use the CDA in UCM to figure out what UCM is doing with the 911 calls.  There could be overlap of some type.

I did find the log for one of the 911 calls.  what would I be looking for in the log that would tell me there's a problem? 

Also, I am able to telco in to the VG's.  I will work on that in the next couple of days as well.

Thanks

Cisco Unified Serviceability >> Tools >> CDR Analysis and Reporting >> CDR >> Search >> By User/Extension

Search for 911 and for the time, your testcalls took place.

If you view thouse failed calls, you might see if they went out on a gateway.

What was the calls redirected or did they route the way, working calls was?

Any strange origCause_value/destCause_value?

I would also recommend that you enable debugging of the appropriate type in your voice gateway (i.e. Q931, SIP, etc.) to see if the carrier is rejecting your calls, perhaps due to unavailable channel, improper signalling, etc.