Views
Helpful
Replies

9900 and 8900 Consult Transfer Issue

Jason Pennell
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Community,

I have an issue when doing a consult transfer on a 9900 or 8900 phone and the call goes to voicemail and I want to bring the caller back and not complete the transfer.  I've been able to replicate it on when using a 9971, a 9951, and a 8961 on different versions of CUCM (I tried on 7.1(3) and 8.5(1)) with the same result.  Here is the scenario...

1. Receive call on 9900 or 8900 phone
  2. Press the Transfer button on the phone
  3. Dial another IP phone's extension
  4. Wait for the voicemail to pick up
  5. Press the Cancel softkey (to disconnect the call to voicemail)
  6. Press the Resume softkey (and get the original caller back to tell them that whoever I was trying to transfer them to is not available).

The problem is that when I press the Cancel softkey in my step #5 I would expect the call to voicemail to go away leaving me with only the original caller holding on my phone but that is not the case.  The voicemail call stays there and I have to manually go back to it by using the direction navigation button on my phone or by pressing the active call key (or whatever those buttons are called on the right hand side of the phone) to get back to that voicemail call and then press the End Call softkey.

This is causing some havoc for our users who need to do consult transfers and they can't use the Red Phone Disconnect button to kill the call to voicemail either because we have the service parameter enabled which allows the user to complete a call transfer on hang up.

This process works as expected if I follow the same procedure as above but skip step 4 and just press the Cancel softkey while the phone I'm trying to transfer to is still in the process of ringing.  If I do that then the my call to the destination phone is canceled and disappears from my screen and then I just press Resume to go back to the original caller.

The first scenerio can't be by design, can it?  Is this a bug?  Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?  I'm guessing this is a SIP thing VS a SCCP thing because I don't have the problem when doing it from a 6900 or 7900 phone.

Thanks for your help!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stuti Desai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is working as design. The cancel option is to cancel the transfer feature and not the call

itself. These phones don't hang up on connected calls unless the user

initiates it.CSCto31030 has been opened as a SEV6 enhancement bug.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Cedric Van Labeke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

Can you try the following? Add a new line button configured as "All Calls Filter".

Once it's there, select it so that it is "activated".

Repeat your test and let me know the results please.

Thanks,

Cedric

Thank you for the reply Cedric.

I added the "All Calls" option and pressed that button before I received a call but the results were the same.  When I press the Cancel softkey to hang up on the person I was trying to transfer to's voicemail, I just get the Resume softkey option to go back to the original caller AND the voicemail call is still active on my phone.  To clear it, I have to press down on the directional navigation pad to select the voicemail connected call and then press the End Call softkey before pressing the Resume softkey to go back to my original caller.  I shouldn't have to take this extra step.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks again for the reply.  Any and all help is appreciated.

Not that this is much help but I executed the same test on a 9951 registered to a CUCM 7.1(3b)su2 cluster. My test behaved as desired. Meaning, when I cancel the call (after it landed on VM), the connection to VM was disconnected normally.  I am running 9.0(2) firmware on my 9951. I am also running in non-secure mode.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Jason,

Now that I'm in the office I finally had the ability to test your scenario and I see what you mean. (Was late yesterday when I replied and was already at home).

So, rather than using voicemail, I use another SCCP phone which I answer. I've tested this on 7.1.3-10000-11 using 9971-9-0-4 firmware and see the same behavior as you are. As soon as the call leg is established, cancel cancels the transfer operation but not the call itself.

I am intrigued though with William Bell's post where he says it behaved as desired. William, did you use all steps outlined by Jason?

Tested using 9971 on CUCM 8.5 with load 9.0.4ES2 (and then 9.1.1SR1) and a real voicemail and I see the exact same behavior. This seems to be working as intended but I do agree it may have room for improvement in terms of UI.

Finally bugged my colleague who had a 9951 on his desk with 9.0.2 and tested with that and also the same thing.

Can you escalate this thread to a TAC case so we can deep dive into this and perhaps engage PM if it would be required?

Thanks,

Cedric

Actually, I believe my original test was flawed. I followed the same procedure but I hit cancel as soon as the display on the transferer switched from the transfer target DN to Voicemail. That worked. But if I actually wait for full media establishment, I have the same issue described here.  Sorry for the confusion.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks for this Willam

Thank you both for your time and assistance so far in helping to verify this scenario.  I escalated it to a TAC case and am waiting on an engineer to get back to me.  I'll let you know what they have to say.  Stay tuned.

Hello all,

Just a quick update.  I did escalate this to TAC and they escalated it to the developers who are stating it is working as designed.  The TAC engineer assigned to this request created an enhancement bug (Bug ID CSCto31030) to have this functionality updated in a future release.  Now I guess we wait.

Thanks again to everyone who replied and tested this scenario in your own environments.

Stuti Desai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is working as design. The cancel option is to cancel the transfer feature and not the call

itself. These phones don't hang up on connected calls unless the user

initiates it.CSCto31030 has been opened as a SEV6 enhancement bug.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: