Views
Helpful
Replies

9971 Issues/Questions

Jason Pennell
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Everyone,

I have a couple of issues/questions when using 9971s that I'm not sure if it is normal behavior or an issue.  I am hoping that someone out there can help me out in bringing some clarity to these.

1. When I park a call, the call doesn't disappear from the phone like it normally would when parking on a 6900/7900 phone.  The call still remains on the display and actually rings in like it's a new call right from the beginning.  Is this normal?  Is there any way to have it behave like a 6900/7900 phone would?  I am just using the normal Park feature (not directed Call Park) and I have the Park function assigned to a physical button on the phone.
  2. We have a couple of phones that are configured to route to the receptionist (who is using a 9971) when they go unanswered.  Normally, I am used to seeing the calling number along with the extension it is being forwarded from on the phone that is receiving the forwarded call but on the 9971 phone it is just showing the original caller's caller ID and giving no indication that it is a forwarded call.  For example, if I make a call from my cell phone 555-555-1212 to a DID number 555-555-3434 which is associated to a 6961 phone that has extension 3434 assigned to it.  3434's call forward no answer setting is configured to forward to the receptionist extension 5656 after 16 seconds.  The receptionist is using a 9971 phone.  I would expect to see that my cell phone number 555-555-1212 would show up on the 9971 phone screen along with information that it is a forwarded call from extension 3434 but all I am seeing is my cell phone number of 555-555-1212.  Any way I can this forward information to display?

I'm running CUCM Business Edition 8.0(2) or 8.0.2.40000-1.

Note:  All phone numbers appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real phone numbers, in service or disconnected, is purely coincidental.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kvancoil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

For your second question, this is tracked by CSCsz89579:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsz89579

When you park the call on 9971 it does indeed stay on the phone display, not sure if this is configurable. May I ask why this is unwanted?

Cheers,

Kristof

View solution in original post

Hi Jason,

All settings are default in my test set-up, I attached two screenshots.

Cheers,

Kristof

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

kvancoil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

For your second question, this is tracked by CSCsz89579:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsz89579

When you park the call on 9971 it does indeed stay on the phone display, not sure if this is configurable. May I ask why this is unwanted?

Cheers,

Kristof

For question 1, what firmware version is the phone running?  It's be disign that the line will still show the call and the park number on it instead of at the bottom of the phone's display like the 7900 phones, but the call shouldn't keep ringing.  When you resume the parked call you'll hear ringing breifly, but the call won't just ring the phone that parked it until the reversion timer expiers.

Jason Pennell
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you both for your replies.  Kristof, thank you for the bug.  This must be what we are hitting.  To answer your question about park, my customer would like consistency in how the park function works (since it disappears on 6900/7900 series phones) they expect it to operate the same for the 9971 phone.  Overall, I don't think they have too much of a problem with the call staying on the display but the fact that it rings back immediately and behaves as a new call that can be answered is causing them to accidently pick it back up when managing multiple calls.  That brings me to joemar2's post.  The firmware we are using is sip9971.9-0-2.  The symptoms are, receptionist presses Park and the call shows up on the phone and states that it is parked and gives the park number but the softkey option at the bottom of the phone is just Answer.  It would be ok if the parked call remained there on hold and couldn't accidently be answered by just picking up the phone but I've had reports from this customer where the receptionist will get a call and go to do an overhead page after parking a call and they've accidentally picked up the parked call and said the page to the customer!  Any help anyone has to overcome this will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Jay

From testing this out some more, when the call is parked, the softkey will show resume, until the call park revision timer expires then the call will

start ringing back on the phone (as a 7900 phone will) and the softkey changes to answer.  I could see how the call could be accidentially answered when the reversion timer expeires but this would happen the same on a 7900 phone.  I guess the difference here is that the resume softkey appears on the 9971 and not on 79xx phones when the call is parked so if the softkey is pressed the parked call will be resumed.  The good news is that lifting the handset, pressing speaker or headset will not resume the call it will place a new call.

Thanks for the info.  That sounds good if ours worked like that but it doesn't.  We have our call Park reversion timeout set to 180 seconds and that works fine on our 6900/7900 series phones but on the 9971 phone, when the call is parked, it is ringing back right away.  Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or a bug in the firmware version I'm running on the 9971 phones that you or anyone out there is aware of?  Or perhaps a CUCM bug?  If the park for our 9971 phones worked like the way you described then I think the receptionist would be fine with that. 

Thanks again for the help.

I wasn't able to find any bugs or a setting that would cause that behavior you're seeing.  I also tried for a while to reproduce it and was unable to.  The next step since the parked call shouldn't immediately revert back to the phone that parked it would be to open a TAC case and provide the detailed call manager traces with the calling/called party details (including the park DN).  Here's how to collect the traces too if you're not familiar with it: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094e89.shtml.

kvancoil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am also not able to reproduce this, tried using same cucm version and same firmware version. Did you check the specific config for these phones: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_2/ccmfeat/fscallpk.html#wp1166463

Cheers,

Kristof

Thank you for the replies.  I'm familiar with how to collect CUCM traces if I need to open a TAC case but I do appreciate your help so far and link to how to collect them joemar2. 

Kristof,

I have seen these settings before but have never played around with them.  I have not adjusted any of these under the Service Parameters or on the phone itself.  Would you mind sharing the settings you have set at both the global level and the phone level for a 9971 phone that is working on your system?

Thank you!

Hi Jason,

All settings are default in my test set-up, I attached two screenshots.

Cheers,

Kristof

Hey Kristof,

Thanks so much for the screen shots and the quick response.  I verified my Service Parameters looked the same as yours, however, I found that my DN settings were slightly different.  Somehow there was a 0 in the Call Park Monitoring Reversion Timer.  I removed the 0 and I believe it is working as expected now.  I am not actually in front of the phone to see it but I called the person operating it and they noticed a difference.  I'm not sure how the 0 got there in the first place but it was present for all three 9971 phones in the system.

I believe this is fixed now so thank you for all of your assistance!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: