Views
Helpful
Replies

9971 not register

Anju Josua
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have problem with 9971 in branch site which cannot register to callmanager in HQ.

But at that site i also using 7965 and can register normally with call manager in HQ.

The 9971 get ip by using dhcp, i can ping the ip address from HQ, but still cannot register to callmanager.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Anju,

That's good info. So from what you're saying, you can register the 9971 phone when it is plugged in at the HQ location but doesn't register when you take it to the branch site. From a port perspective, you simply need 5060 TCPand UDP ports opened:

From (Sender)

To (Listener)

Destination Port

Purpose

Phone

Unified CM

5060 / TCP and UDP

Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) phone

Unified CM

Phone

If that is already taken care of, then let's look at taking a packet capture from the phone as well as the UCM node to which it should register, so we can see what's going on.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What does the status messages show on the Phone?

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Please rate all useful posts

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anju,

Just to add to aokanlawon's request, there is some more info needed:

++     What is the version of CUCM you are running? Also, what is the phone load for the 9971?

++     Is the 7965 running a SCCP or SIP firmware? Please keep in mind, the 9971 is a SIP Phone and will only have a SIP firmware.

++     Do you have auto registration enabled? Was this 9971 phone registered before or is this a new phone you are adding to the cluster?

++     How many phones impacted? Just the one or multiple?

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses

- Status on the phone is "registering",

- My CUCM version is 8.6, my phone load is

- 7965 using sccp, 9971 using SIP

- i already add this phone before at HQ using auto registration, but when it move to other location, it can't register to CM in HQ

- i just using one 9971 in this site, and only that one that keep registering, the others 7965 run well

I assuming this is network issue, is there any port should open? because this is the only SIP phone on that location

Any idea? thanks

Regards,

Anju Josua

Hi Anju,

That's good info. So from what you're saying, you can register the 9971 phone when it is plugged in at the HQ location but doesn't register when you take it to the branch site. From a port perspective, you simply need 5060 TCPand UDP ports opened:

From (Sender)

To (Listener)

Destination Port

Purpose

Phone

Unified CM

5060 / TCP and UDP

Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) phone

Unified CM

Phone

If that is already taken care of, then let's look at taking a packet capture from the phone as well as the UCM node to which it should register, so we can see what's going on.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Harmit Singh,

Our client still trying to open the port

i'll update the progress after they open it

Thanks

Regards,

Anju

Thanks for the update Anju, let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Anju,

If your 9971 phone (SIP) registers at HQ, and then moved to branch site and doesn't register, then it's definitely a network issue. The packet capture path you are heading down is the correct and will give you more insight on 5060 UDP/TCP.

However, a common problem that gets alot of people is that a SIP phones won't register if it doesn't have a configured DN. DN is mandatory for SIP phones to register. SCCP phones do not need a DN for it to register and can register without DN. Just wanted to make sure this was not the case for you.

Hi all,

the port already open, now the status is different.

when i see on CM, it get the DN (auto register) but it is "rejected".

i think it is about security matter (CTL). i already reset the security setting but still have the same issue.

any idea?

Thanks

Regards,

Anju

Hi Anju,

CTL file comes into the picture if it is a secure cluster. Is yours a secure cluster? I'm assuming you tried resetting the phone to factory defaults? If not, please do so. You can also try deleting the ITL file from the phone (it doesn't get removed with a factory reset). Are you able to pull the config file of the phone from the TFTP server at the branch location? My guess is that is working since you see the phone's auto register DN in the CUCM. If all else fails, please collect detailed CUCM SDI and SDL traces, detailed TFTP traces and possibly a packet capture of the phone once you reset it. Provide the IP address, MAC address of the IP phone, IP address and hostnames of the CUCM servers in the cluster, timestamp of when you reset the phone.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Harmit

i am not using secure cluster, i already reset the phone to factory default (using the option in adminstrator > reset > reset all), but the still get rejected.

how do i erase ctl in 9971? if i am using sccp ip phone i can unlock by using **#, but in SIP phone that command seems doesn't work.

My tftp server is in HQ too, how do i pull config from tftp? never done this before

is there any ohter port that should open?

i add the capture, i can see port 2445, should i open that port?

Thanks

Regards,

Anju

Hi Anju,

I reviewed the packet captures and I can see that the config file is successfully downloaded by the phone. However I believe you have filtered the capture and I do not see any SIP messages in the captures.

The way to pull the config file of the concerned phone is:

1>     Open a command line window.

2>     Type: tftp get SEP10BD18DC89DA.cnf.xml.sgn

If you can successfully download the file, you know that the file exists in the TFTP and you can retrieve it at the same remote location as where the IP phone is. Hence there should be no firewall issue.

Can you please send the entire packet capture along with CUCM SDI and SDL traces from the node to which it should register to?

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Harmit,

i capture the packet from cucm using command:

"utils network capture eth0 file packets count 100000 size all host ip 172.16.252.4"

from the CUCM it is registered.

Maybe i miss some command? please tell me, because i don't filter anything from the captured packet.

I'll donwload the phone file as your explanation and check whether the file is there or not.

Thanks,

Regards,

Anju

Hi Anju,

Is that the TFTP server on which you ran the utils network capture command? If yes, please run it on the CUCM node to which the phone should be trying to register to. You can check the Device Pool --> Call Manager Group as per that Phone's config in CUCM.

Also, please pull the detailed CUCM SDI and SDL traces from all nodes in the cluster for the same duration while you run the utils network capture. Please provide the IP address, MAC address of the IP Phone, IP address and hostnames of the CUCM nodes in the cluster.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Harmit,

Since this is weekend i can't go to the customer.

I'll update the progress soon after i get the data, on monday

Please wait till then.

Thanks

Regards,

Anju