cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A way to restrict ext mobility on Softphone?

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have some call center people with laptops, who some times take their laptops home, they have softphones (Cisco IP Communicator) installed on them. It's a policy violation for them to take queue calls outside of the office, but they may still need to make or receive calls on their direct line.  So I figured, if I can restrict softphones even being able to be subscribed to ext mobility, that will ensure they aren't able to log in to Cisco Agent Desktop and take calls.

Does anyone know if there is a way to restrict ext mobility from being subscribed to on a Softphone, but still haven it available for hard desk phone models we use in the call center?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to the CIPC and uncheck: Enable EM

Regarding the EM service:

If you have it as an enterprise subscription service, no.

If you do NOT have it as an enterprise subscription service, then just un-subscribe their CIPCs.

Enterprise Subscription

This check box allows you to automatically provision the service to all devices in the cluster that can support the service. If you check this check box, you (or an end user) cannot subscribe to the service.

If this check box is unchecked, you must manually subscribe to the service for it to display on the phone (either in the Phone Configuration window, in BAT, or in the Cisco Unified Communications Self Care Portal).

Tip    This setting displays only when you configure a service for the first time. After you save the service, the check box does not display in the window.

To identify whether the service is provisioned to all devices in the cluster that can support the service, go to the Find and List IP Phone Services window and display the services. If true displays in the Enterprise Subscription column, you cannot manually subscribe to the service.

If false displays, you can manually subscribe to the service; for example, an end user can subscribe to the service through the Cisco Unified Communications Self Care Portal.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

If I understood you correctly, your agents has CIPC configured on their laptops as the way their hard phones are configured. But why cant you just configure their CIPCs with only direct line. 

Or are they using CIPC for agent call taking as well, when they are in office.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

No, they are not using CIPC to take queue calls in the office.  You're correct, ideally extension mobility would not be subscribed to on CIPC.  But, I'm not the only one setting up these phones.  I can tell the other people not to subscribe a CIPC to ext mobility all day long, but inevitably, someone will forget and try to do it.  So, if I could find a way to just restrict it from being able to be subscribed to but only for CIPCs, that would prevent them from even having the ability to do it.  If there's no way to do that, no big deal.  Just thought I'd check with people who are smarter than I am :).

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to the CIPC and uncheck: Enable EM

Regarding the EM service:

If you have it as an enterprise subscription service, no.

If you do NOT have it as an enterprise subscription service, then just un-subscribe their CIPCs.

Enterprise Subscription

This check box allows you to automatically provision the service to all devices in the cluster that can support the service. If you check this check box, you (or an end user) cannot subscribe to the service.

If this check box is unchecked, you must manually subscribe to the service for it to display on the phone (either in the Phone Configuration window, in BAT, or in the Cisco Unified Communications Self Care Portal).

Tip    This setting displays only when you configure a service for the first time. After you save the service, the check box does not display in the window.

To identify whether the service is provisioned to all devices in the cluster that can support the service, go to the Find and List IP Phone Services window and display the services. If true displays in the Enterprise Subscription column, you cannot manually subscribe to the service.

If false displays, you can manually subscribe to the service; for example, an end user can subscribe to the service through the Cisco Unified Communications Self Care Portal.

HTH

java

Thanks for the info!  I think you've answered my question, no there's not a way to do what I want to do.  I know I can go through and disable EM, but really I'm looking for a preventative measure to keep my service desk guys from even being able to subscribe a CIPC to the service.  We do have it as an enterprise subscription service.  So, no big deal, was just hoping there was a way.  Thanks again!

You can remove the services from self-care portal and that way they cannot subscribe, but you'd do that for all users and all services.

In your scenario, you'd need to delete the EM service, re-create it and then manually subscribe devices you want to have it.

HTH

java

If you go to EM service parameters and hit advanced, you will see two
parameters (validate IP address and Trusted IP Address List).

You can use them to make sure that only LAN phones subnets are allowed to
login. This way when the users are off desk on VPN subnets they won't be
able to login and take calls.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: