Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Activation code for my phone

I have a Cisco IP 8851 on my desk in my office and recently with COVID-19 I have started working from home. That being the case I decided to order a Cisco IP 8851 for my home office. I received the phone and decided to plug it in and get it working today. After plugging it in the welcome screen comes up and asks me to enter an activation code or service domain. Not sure what this is so can anyone help me please? I have Spectrum/Charter service and I have the Ethernet plugged in. I am only looking to use it with the current phone number and with my cell phone and conference calls and webinars

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@MichaelFlanders17504 wrote:

That being the case I decided to order a Cisco IP 8851 for my home office.

Turn the phone around and look at the sticker where the product ID (PID) is:  Does the model have the letters "MPP" or "3PCC" in it (like "CP-8851-3PCC-K9")?

CP-8851-K9= V11 I’m looking just to use it as a home office phone that I can connect my cell phone to and do conference calls. It wouldn’t need to have extensions or does not need to be connected to my actual office system. I currently use spectrum for my internet connectivity which is part of charter communications Hope this info helps

@MichaelFlanders17504 wrote:
CP-8851-K9= V11 I’m looking just to use it as a home office phone that I can connect my cell phone to and do conference calls. It wouldn’t need to have extensions or does not need to be connected to my actual office system. I currently use spectrum for my internet connectivity which is part of charter communications Hope this info helps

@MichaelFlanders17504 

What you describe is from what I know not feasible.

Response Signature

Cisco IP Phones need a call control system to register to (and an extension is MANDATORY for SIP devices), in order to make calls and conferences, the phone itself is useless without a call control system.

This is the equivalent of you buying one of the old mobiles without wifi or anything else besides the SIM card tray, but not buying a SIM card and expecting the mobile to be able to place and receive calls.

Did you even ask your telco/ISP if they support what you were trying to do? 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

So if I buy a call control system will I be able to use the phone?

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you know if your office uses CUCM or CME? A 3rd party PBX or a Cisco cloud option? 

If CUCM,  do you know if they have provisioned the necessary servers and configuration to use that device over MRA? 

If you are an end user, you should have reached out to your IT department prior to buying any equipment to make sure they do support what you're asking, and if they do, instructions on how to proceed. If IT doesn't have that configuration in place, you cannot use your device with your work number. 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

On top of what has been already asked do you know what version of CUCM, assume that what you use, that you have?

For activation code registration you would need to be on CUCM 12.x. For the other option with domain and username/password it should work with a lot more versions. You basically enter your domain, for example domain.com, then you should get asked for username and password. If you don’t get this it would mean that the registration have failed to connect with MRA.

Response Signature

Not sure how would I research this to find out what version. I know the phone is CP-8851-K9= V11. Would that mean version 11?

No that would have nothing to do with the version of CUCM. More so you already have given answer in other part of this thread that you don’t have any phone system. So it’s a pointless line of question.

Best of luck with this.

Response Signature

Roger, Hi.  I sent you a private message with a question.  thanks

Hi,

There seems like there is some sort of issue with PM. I can’t see any of them at the moment, it’s just a blank page. Will check your message once the function is restored.

Response Signature

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you trying to just connect the device to your cellphone via bluetooth and use it for the calls?

If your phone is the version with Third Party Call Control, you may be able to register it with one of the various SIP services, for example I use these two.  Sipgate Basic gives me a local phone number, within my area code, and Localphone has better call rates ... 

https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/

https://www.localphone.com/

I must admit I use a Gigaset phone though, rather than Cisco.

Yes and use it with the landline number I currently have
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: