cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Activation Code Onboarding (non MRA) - rate limit or throttling per code?

tina.hopper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all:

I'm in the middle of a deployment involving @ 300 phones for this site.  We are doing more sites coming up with over 1000 phones and I'm running into what I think is a limitation of the Activation Code Onboarding service on CUCM 12.5.1 SU3.

We have used the activation code onboarding starting with the smaller sites (less than 100 phones) and it's worked extremely well.  Today is the first larger site we've run into a problem specifically with the codes.

This site went outside the standard and gave me a hardcoded list of phones to users (we have been using dummy MAC's for all sites up to this one), so this site was configured to "Require Activation Code" for every phone, even tho we had real MAC addresses in the system for each phone (the extra security is still required). 

When the phones were being deployed today, most of the phones came up no issue using the codes - but random phones on the same switch were spinning their wheels after the users entered their activation codes and would never register.  I noticed right away that the publisher CUCM slowed way down when browsing through the phones (it is the only one to run the Activation Code Service IRC).  Trying different ports, rebooting, factory reset, nothing worked - until I removed the activation code and had the user reset the phones.  Then they booted right up.

I have no access to RTMT so I can't even take a look at CUCM load or other logs, but I'm going to pull some logs later with the site contact.

My question is - was Activation Code Onboarding designed for these types of mid and larger installs?  Does it have any hard limits on how many codes it can process at a given time?  Does it just not like hardcoded MAC's with activation codes?  Not seeing anything out there regarding these details, either on boards or in documentation.  We did rule out every factor of their network before trying removing the codes.  There's nothing else configured on these switches that would block this behavior that we can find, so my guess is that only so many codes can be processed at a given time by CUCM.

I find nothing regarding any sort of "CUCM can process X many codes in X many seconds" in any of the documentation.  Does anyone know if anything like this exists in regards to the Activation Code Onboarding service?

If there's throttling or rate limiting going on, this has the potential to severely affect our future larger site installations.

TIA

Tina

0 Replies 0