Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new CUCM SUB into MEGA cluster

tacl75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a Mega cluster of 14 CUCM SUB and intend to add 2 more CUCM SUB to the max that Cisco allows. Before I intend to add it into the cluster, I saw there is a bug CSCub12922: "Add new subscriber to existing 8.6+ CUCM cluster cause all device reset" which say all device will be resetted.

I just want to confirm if it refers to all devices(phones, gateways, etc) under this new CMG(Call Manager Group)  OR  ALL devices in the cluster irregardless of the CMG they are assigned.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

tacl

8 Replies 8

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This is documented under the following

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCub12922/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Add new subscriber to existing 8.6+ CUCM cluster cause all device reset
CSCub12922

Symptom:
Add new subscriber to existing 8.x CUCM cluster cause all device reset

Conditions:

Adding a new subscriber to existing 8.x CUCM cluster cause all device reset due to database update. Issue recreated in lab when "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre 8.0" set to both true & false. The symptom and logs are the same in each scenario
This is not a bug. The condition is applicable only to CUCM 8.6 and higher releases. Whenever a node is added to CUCM cluster , from CUCM 8.6 onwards , the phones belonging to that Call Manager group will be automatically restarted

These resets are soft reset, which means that if the phones are having an active call they will not get reset at that moment. This will only reset devices that are idle.

HTH

Manish

Thanks Manish. Does it means that only new nodes on existing CMG(Call Manager Group) devices are affected only or all devices in the cluster will be restarted?

Hi,

Sadly "After you install a new node in an existing cluster, all phones that are registered to the cluster are reset."

This is documented here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/9_1_1/CUCM_BK_I05CD008_00_installing-cucm-91/CUCM_BK_I05CD008_00_installing-cucm-91_chapter_01.html#CUCM_TK_A9E74880_00

HTH

Manish

Is this bug going to be corrected? 

It applies to 8.6 and higher versions, there are no options available to avoid it at the moment.

Manish

Does anyone know if this device reset, when adding a Node to the cluster still occurs in the 12.5 release version??

Paul,

According to what was posted above,

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCub12922/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Add new subscriber to existing 8.6+ CUCM cluster cause all devices to reset
CSCub12922
it was last updated in June of 2019. It is not a bug and will not be changed as it is operating as designed according to the post.

The part on the soft reset appears to have an issue in 9.1.2.12900-11. Adding a Subscriber last week reset all phones AND dropped - as near as can be determined - every active call. This is a great procedure to conduct during a known downtime, and at the least impacting time possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: