cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Additional Mailbox on DN

MBrooksAirIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All- Is it possible to have more than one Unity VMailbox on a single DN? How would I accomplish this?

CUCM v6.1.4

Unity v4

Thanx

-michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The answer to that depends on if you want the caller to dial a specific user and then have options (i.e., you call John but have the option to leave a message for Jane or John, etc) or if you want the caller to dial a generic number (not specific to an individual user) and then have options.

Let's look at both.  Option 1 - you call John at x1234 but have the option to leave a message for John or, alternatively for Jane.

First, both John and Jane need to have an existing voice mailbox.  In this case specifically, John's mailbox need to have extension 1234 associated with it.  The behavior would be as follows:

Outside caller dials John at 1234 and is forwarded to VM.  John's standard greeting is recorded as (example), "Thanks for calling.  If you'd like to leave a message for Jane, press 1 now or remain on the line to leave a message for me." 

To make this happen, you configure the Caller Input options directly on John's voice mailbox.  In this example, you would configure Caller Input of 1 to go directly to the greeting for a subscriber (Jane).  If the caller does not press 1 then they are prompted to leave a message which goes directly into John's mailbox. 

Option 2 - you call a generic extension (i.e., not directly tied to John or Jane) and receive options to leave a message for John or Jane.  In this case, you would create a CTI Route Point in CUCM and assign the generic extension as a DN (with call forward all to VM) and assign the appropriate VM profile so the call can be forwarded to Unity.  In Unity, you would create a Call Handler and assign the generic extension directly to the Call Handler (could also be a routing rule but I prefer assigning extenions directly to Call Handlers).  Again, both John and Jane need to have an existing voice mailbox.

The basic call handler configuration would be to provide Caller Input options to route Caller Input of 1 to go directly to the greeting for a subscriber (John) and Caller Input of 2 to go directly to the greeting for a subscriber (Jane).  You would also need to record the greeting for the Call Handler (via the Media Master or CUGA) to provide the caller with the appropriate options.  The behavior for Option 2 is as follows:

Outside caller dials x1313 and the call is routed directly to VM (via CTI Route Point).  The caller hears the greeting for the Call Handler x1313 which says, "Thanks for calling Acme Corporation.  To leave a message for John, press 1.  To leave a message for Jane, press 2."

Should be pretty straightforward.  Just respond if you need further guidance.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

not possible !

can you tell us what you want to archive so we might give another idea instead !

What we would like is for a caller to be prompted to choose between two VMailboxes when dialing one DID/DN. I have been told by another engineer that this is possible, he has seen it done, but cannot recall how it was accomplished.

ok in this case what you can do is create callhandler in unity with the same number of the DN the user has

and in this callhandler you cane use a prompt to ask whcih voicmail the caller want

using user intered digits

like pres 1 to VM 1

press 2 to VM 2

and setup tow VM boxes to send the call to as per the caller choice

but the issue here if the user want to chekc the vocie mail box you need to have the user to dial the Unity pilot number

pres * then put the VM box number he want s to check as the ID and pin as the passsword to access it !!

wish this helps

if helpful Rate

OK, so if I understand correctly, there is no change on the CUCM side  -- it still hands off to VM as before, however now the DN is assigned  to a call handler rather than the specific VMailbox. Does this mean I  will be assigning 3 DNs on the Unity side? 1) Call Handler 2) VM1 3) VM2

Thanx

The answer to that depends on if you want the caller to dial a specific user and then have options (i.e., you call John but have the option to leave a message for Jane or John, etc) or if you want the caller to dial a generic number (not specific to an individual user) and then have options.

Let's look at both.  Option 1 - you call John at x1234 but have the option to leave a message for John or, alternatively for Jane.

First, both John and Jane need to have an existing voice mailbox.  In this case specifically, John's mailbox need to have extension 1234 associated with it.  The behavior would be as follows:

Outside caller dials John at 1234 and is forwarded to VM.  John's standard greeting is recorded as (example), "Thanks for calling.  If you'd like to leave a message for Jane, press 1 now or remain on the line to leave a message for me." 

To make this happen, you configure the Caller Input options directly on John's voice mailbox.  In this example, you would configure Caller Input of 1 to go directly to the greeting for a subscriber (Jane).  If the caller does not press 1 then they are prompted to leave a message which goes directly into John's mailbox. 

Option 2 - you call a generic extension (i.e., not directly tied to John or Jane) and receive options to leave a message for John or Jane.  In this case, you would create a CTI Route Point in CUCM and assign the generic extension as a DN (with call forward all to VM) and assign the appropriate VM profile so the call can be forwarded to Unity.  In Unity, you would create a Call Handler and assign the generic extension directly to the Call Handler (could also be a routing rule but I prefer assigning extenions directly to Call Handlers).  Again, both John and Jane need to have an existing voice mailbox.

The basic call handler configuration would be to provide Caller Input options to route Caller Input of 1 to go directly to the greeting for a subscriber (John) and Caller Input of 2 to go directly to the greeting for a subscriber (Jane).  You would also need to record the greeting for the Call Handler (via the Media Master or CUGA) to provide the caller with the appropriate options.  The behavior for Option 2 is as follows:

Outside caller dials x1313 and the call is routed directly to VM (via CTI Route Point).  The caller hears the greeting for the Call Handler x1313 which says, "Thanks for calling Acme Corporation.  To leave a message for John, press 1.  To leave a message for Jane, press 2."

Should be pretty straightforward.  Just respond if you need further guidance.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hailey- Excellent post and suggestions. Thank you.

We went with option 2. The only problem encountered was with the handoff from the CTI Route Point to the Call Handler (we think), we could not get the forwarded DN to ring through to VM at Call Handler. What I mean by that is that the customer has a published number which is a DID. We needed to forward that to the CTI Route Point. When we did all we got upon dialing the DID was a fast busy. What corrected the problem was setting up a Call Route in Unity from the original DID to the Call Handler.

Thanx again.

- michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: