cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Addking 7811 phone to CUCM 10.5.2.11900

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Customer called asking about adding a 7811 phone to CUCM10.5.2.11900.  The device isn't in the drop down list to add.

I went looking to see what specific Device Pak was needed to add this, and can't find any information on it.  

Has the Device Pak changed so that now the latest one will add any device not found in the device types?  How do we get the 7811 to show up on CUCM 10.5.2.11900?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Ok....here is the final answer.

I put the into my lab.  Built up a cluster on 10.5.2 SU1.  I then applied one of the latest device paks (specifically, cmterm-devicepack10.5.2.23198-1.cop.sgn).  Before applying the device pak, I verified that the 7811 did not appear on the system.

After applying the device pak and rebooting, the 7811 options DO appear on the system.  So apparently the newer versions of the device paks do add device types that are not present on the system they are being applied to.  To me at least, this is a change in behavior from the older device paks where specific device paks were required to get a phone type added.

So, I've answered my own question here, but thanks everyone for chipping in.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Yes, I have seen this document.  All of them contain firmware.  None of them say they can ADD the device if it isn't present.  In the past when I've done this, you had to use a very specific DevicePak to add a device, and then could use other device paks to add the firmware. This functionality *might* have changed....but I was trying to avoid having to lab up the whole thing to see. 

So my question remains:

Will the listed device paks add a device if it isn't there?

The attached screen shot is from a read me for an older device pack.  If you look at it, it tells you that this is ADDING the 7832 to the CUCM database.  The line above it tells you that the 7800 series has some feature being added, but I cannot find a device pack that actually ADDS the 78XX (and specifically the 7811) into the database. I don't see this in the newer readmes

a device pack contains the firmware for new devices that is compatible with the CUCM version
this will be installed on the CUCM tftp server so the device can retrieve it.
second it contains templates for CUCM so CUCM knows what options are available for the device

edited on request from Jaime I think he has a point and next sentence is not correct:

the datasheet reports support from version 8.51 onwards. so looks like no there is need for a device pack, the 7811 support is included already in the CUCM distribution

BUT support can also be ended..... which will show in the release notes for the CUCM version
if support has ended, I expect no device pack will add the support again

Cisco Unified Communications Manager

●  8.5.1
●  8.6.2
●  9.1.2
●  10.x and later

pieterh, that is most definitely WRONG, please edit or delete your reply to avoid confusing people who might read this in the future

Install a Device Pack

Install a device package to introduce new phone types and upgrade the firmware for multiple phone models.

Apply this device package to all of your Cisco Unified Communications Manager servers, beginning with the publisher server and the TFTP server.

Perform all software installations and upgrades by using the Software Upgrades menu options. The system can upload and process only Cisco approved software. You cannot install or use third-party or Windows-based software applications that you used with a previous version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Note

This Device Package is necessary to obtain configuration capability for new features and phone models. Otherwise individual device firmware is installed with the individual device load Cisco Options Package file. You can also upload the individual device load files to the TFTP directory. After the new files are present in the TFTP folder, restart the TFTP service from the Cisco Unified Serviceability Web Page. Then go to CCMAdmin >Device >Device Settings >Device Defaults and manually change the name of the load file (for specific devices) to the new load. Click Save. Reset the devices.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/Devpacks_admin/CMDP_BK_CD82F19C_00_cisco-unified-communications-manager-device/Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_Device_Package_Installation_and_Administration.html

The versions listed in the datasheet are the releases in which it * can * be used, but doesn't mean that support is provided natively. If a phone is released AFTER a certain CUCM version is released, how do you expect the phone to be in that CUCM release???? And that is the case for your example of support for that device model on 8.5.1.

DevPacks can do any of these:

A) Update FW for several devices

B) ADD support for new device models

C) Add/modify features already included in CUCM

So, either you get new device models by installing DevPacks, OR you get new device models by keeping up to date with the SUs.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jamie,

That's the closest I've seen to answering the question, but the question is still open.

The release notes no longer state that they add support for any type of phone (at least not that I've seen in the newer versions).  So if I have a CUCM system and load the most recent device pak, will it add in any phone types in the device pak that are not already on the system?  In the past, only specific device paks could add specific new devices.  Has this changed?

AFAIK the DevPacks are cumulative, so the latest one would include all the DB changes from previous ones. The documentation the README references is mostly to tell you which FW is going to be included for that particular device(s) in that DevPack. The README still sometimes provides info on new devices, it should show as DB change YES and reference a QED.

You're quite behind in SU's, that's SU1 from February 2015, and we're already on SU10 from June this year, upgrading to the latest release would also add support for those devices.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

>You're quite behind in SU's

Not me....I'm work for a Cisco Partner.  We routinely advise clients to get their systems upgraded/patched. Believe it or not, I've seen customers still running CUCM version 4 that absolutely refuse to upgrade.  We support them as best we can, but they know they are on their own if something goes horribly wrong. 

To support new phones u need to upload the device pack.

once added if u need the latest firmware for these phones, you can individually upload the firmware.

Response Signature

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Ok....here is the final answer.

I put the into my lab.  Built up a cluster on 10.5.2 SU1.  I then applied one of the latest device paks (specifically, cmterm-devicepack10.5.2.23198-1.cop.sgn).  Before applying the device pak, I verified that the 7811 did not appear on the system.

After applying the device pak and rebooting, the 7811 options DO appear on the system.  So apparently the newer versions of the device paks do add device types that are not present on the system they are being applied to.  To me at least, this is a change in behavior from the older device paks where specific device paks were required to get a phone type added.

So, I've answered my own question here, but thanks everyone for chipping in.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: