Views
Helpful
Replies

Another brick in the wall (Cisco 7965G)

pilot715
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!
I made a hard reset of my Cisco 7965, but after that it can not download the software from the tftp server. The phone twice asks for the term65.default.load and receive it, but only downloads 654kb and does not respond anymore.
I read on this forum that the phone should be updated consistently, from the old version to new. The problem is that I do not know what firmware was on my phone before, now I have only two firmware versions: cmterm-7945_7965-sip.8-5-4 and cmterm-7945_7965-sip.9-0-2SR1, previously firmware versions available only on Cisco site, but guest access does not allow me to download it.

I try to download firmware through tftpd32 by direct connection to the laptop. My phone version is 7965G V08 (if this can helpfull)

6 Replies 6

Can you make sure that the image you go is the right one. Also, make sure
that consistent reachability between phone and tftp exists.

The phone communicates with tftp, it can be seen by the server logs. But as I already wrote above the download does not start. The file term65.default.load does not load completely. It looks like phone is dissatisfied with something. I suspect that the software versions do not fit him. Is it so?

jonathan.dixon
Level 1
Level 1

I suggest you try an earlier firmware between 8.3(3) and 8.5(2) - depending on the phone's history, you sometimes need to go to these versions before upgrading to 9.x versions (see the release notes).

Also, are you saying the phone is downloading 654KB of term65.default.loads?  That file should only be about 1KB.

1. What do you think, cmterm-7945_7965-sip.8-3-5.zip will be good?

2. Sorry, 654 bytes of course

cmterm-7945_7965-sip.8-3-5.zip should be fine

Yes, but this firmware version I could not get, good Samaritan sent me 8-4-2S and everything fit beautifully. Next, I upgraded to 8-5-4, and then to 9-0-2, but my phone refused to register with firmware 9-0-2 and higher.
I had to roll it back to 8-5-4 and now everything works fine.

I have a different question: previously i had to deal with 7960 phones and all settings I could change through the phone's menu, but in 7965 menu, I can not anything to change. Change something possible only through the SEP file. That is how it should be or I have a defective phone?

PS
Cisco policy is surprising. Why lock the firmware for 10 years old phones and not allow them to download even to company partners? You can download it only if you have a service contract.
Zero tolerance to aftermarket. If you want to change your Cisco phones to new one, the old phone can be immediately throw into the trash, since the private aftermarket user will not be able to download the update in any way.