cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Experts: Cisco Webex Meeting Server (CWMS) : Install/Configuration and Troubleshooting

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ask your Questions on Cisco Webex Meeting Server (CWMS) : Install, Configuration, and Troubleshooting with Cisco Experts: Amit Sing,  Hari Haran S M, and Jyothi V.

Monday, March 16th, 2015 to Friday, March 27th, 2015

Amit Singh is a Technical Leader for Services at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in Bangalore, India, nine years in TAC. He has more than 10 years of experience in his areas of expertise: wireless, Cisco Unified Communications Manager, multi-services, Cisco Unity, and Cisco Unified Contact Center Express. He has been involved in various escalation requests from India, Singapore, and Australia and is currently working as a technical lead for the Voice team in Bangalore, India. He is a computer science graduate. (CCIE Collaboration  # 46042

Hari Haran S M is a Customer Support Engineer based out in Bangalore, India. He has total of 7.5 years of which he has worked as a TAC engineer for almost 6 years. He is a graduate in Mathematics and his area of expertise covers Firewall, Catalyst Switches, MeetingPlace and Cisco Webex Meeting Server.  He has handled multiple escalations / hot issues and provided on-site support as well. Additionally, he writes scripts in python for automation and creates web pages using HTML5 and CSS3 as a hobby. He is a certified RHCE and pursuing VCP5.

Jyothi V is a TAC Engineer based out of Cisco-TAC Bangalore, India. She has over 5 years of experience in Unified Communications, Collaboration and Conferencing solutions with expertise in Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Multi-services, Meetingplace and Cisco Webex Meetings Server. She has worked on multiple critical and hot issues and also had on-site engagements. She graduated as an Electronics and Communications engineer. She holds a CCNP Voice along with industry certifications RHCE and VCP5. 

Find other  https://supportforums.cisco.com/expert-corner/knowledge-sharing.

**Ratings Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

37 Replies 37

Hi Terry,

Just explain little more, where the users connect depends on the DNS reply. Hence, we should configure the DNS in site A to resolve to DC1 and DNS in site B to resolve DC2.

Regards,

Hari

Thanks Jyothi and Hari. +5. There are no ratings on any of the posts here, I am going to rate all posts and will request the community to rate the responses as well, to appreciate the help you are receiving and saying thank you to these guys, for helping us.

Amit, jyothi and Hari +5 on your way for all your posts :)

Hari I though the same, but can we configure DNS servers to resolve the names according to the source subnet or how the DNS is actually configured in this case? I know this goes outside of CWMS and more into DNS configuration but still thought will just check with you.

-Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the ratings. I am not sure whether a DNS server can provide resolution based on the source subnet. Since we are reffering to different sites, I assume that there will be different DNS server for each site. Each DNS should resolve the IP address of their local site. While assigning the IP address to the client, we should assign the respective DNS server. In this way the clients connect to the local site.

Regards,

Hari

Hello Terry,

Have you investigated on "Subnet Prioritization", you may want to check this, if I understand your query correctly: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961422.aspx

If not, we can have a quick call to discuss and see, if we can find an appropriate solution.

Regards

Amit Singh

Hi Amit,

I haven't actually. Thanks for providing the above link (+5) - I will certainly read it and will let you know if I have further questions. 

Thanks Again for your response and your offer for the call - much appreciated.

-Terry

Thanks Hari! (+5)

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Thank you for this opportunitiy.

I have now new implemenation for Webex server. and my first question:

Is it a must to use vCenter to deploy Webex?

Regards,

Hello,

Thats correct, its a requirement/Pre-requisite to deploy CWMS using vCenter.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_0/Planning_Guide/Planning_Guide_chapter_00.html

Additionaly, We recommend vCenter as best practice, if you need to restore your VM's for some reason.

Regards

Amit Singh

Thank you for your reply, +5

Regarding vCenter, as per my knowledge we have vCenter Windows based and vCenter Appliance. can I use any one?

and I did not find vCenter within the software that I got from Cisco. and when I tried to download from VMware I found the following products:

VMware vCenter Application Discovery Manager
VMware vCenter Chargeback
VMware vCenter Converter Standalone
VMware vCenter Operations Manager for Horizon View
VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat
VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager

Could you please help?

Regards,

Hi,

We can use windows based vCenter or vCenter appliance. This actually depends upon how many ESXi hosts that you would like to manage with one vCenter. From CWMS perspective, we can use both any one of them.

if you are referring to vCenter client Software, this is not provided by cisco. You can access the vCenter via https [https://<vCenter-IP>] and this will give you an option to download vCenter Client.

Regards,

Hari

Hello Hari,

Do I need the vCenter after the installation? In other words can I remove the vCenter after making CWMS up and running?

Regards,

Hi,

vCenter might not be required for the system to function, however this is not tested. Most the of the vSwitch configuration are done via the vCenter, hence I am not sure whether removing the vCenter will break the vSwitch configuration.

Also, we will need the vCenter during maintenance / troubleshooting / upgrade. I would suggest leave the vCenter running as it is easy manage the hosts.

Regards,

Hari

Hi,

I found another server under vSphere, vCenter Server. can we use the appliance one? or I should use the one which is Windows based?

Regards,

Hi,

You can use any of them as per your requirement.

Regards,

Hari

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks guys for this forum post.

we currently run CWMS v.2.5 including a WebEx external/DMZ virtual machine.  We need to change the IP address on this webex proxy. Will this have any implications on the licenses? i.e. will the license need to be re-hosted to reflect the new IP address on the webEx proxy?

Cheers

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: